Once when there were no rivers on the earth, the Jade Dragon was in charge of clouds. She decided when and where the clouds would rain upon the land and when they would stop. She was very proud of her power and of the reverence the people of earth paid her. Jade Dragon had four dragon children: Pearl, Yellow, Long, and Black. They were large and strong and good and kind. They helped Jade Dragon with her work and whenever they flew in the sky she was overwhelmed with love and pride.
Where the Mt. Meets the Moon
Legs & Feet
- Use a whip stitch ( tutorial to follow) to sew around the leg. Once you've sewn around 90% fill with a bit of stuffing. You want it filled but not super full. See photos for reference.
- Finish sewing along the edge.
- Tie the end of the thread to the beginning thread forming a knot.
- To hide the knot and tail of thread, sew it back through the middle of the leg. Snip the end and let it get sucked back into the center. See photos above.
- Now take two feet. Fold one in half and snip a 1/4 inch slit.
- Insert the leg into the food and fold the ends up a bit.
- Stitch in place.
- Place the other foot and whip stitch around the edge.
- Repeat for the other 3 feet. See photos above.
- Stack the lower chin (yellow), inner mouth (pink), teeth, and red beard as shown in the photos above.
- Use a running stitch to sew across where each intersects. Make sure each stitch goes through all 4 layers.
- See the below video for a tutorial on the running stitch.
You can use either the whip stitch or the running stitch to sew the side teeth to the pink inner mouth.
- Take one side of the body and start sewing at the inner part of the jaw.
- Sew through the teeth and pink inner mouth. See pictures above.
- Continue around all three sides of the bottom jaw.
- Choose whether you want to have teeth on the top or not. Our dragon does not have top teeth.
- Sew around the top jaw adding the snout as you come to it.
Time to sew down the chin. Watch the below video for a helpful tip on hiding your thread ends.
- Prepare the top of the head by first adding 2 crease seams. These will be on either side of the nostril hump.
- Fold the piece of felt at the first seam and whip stitch across the fold. The side you stitch will be the wrong side of the piece.
- Repeat for the next crease. See photos above.
- Sew the top of the head onto the bottom jaw you've already completed. Start just behind the nostril and continue around the tip of the snout to the back of the other nostril.
- Leave a gap at each eye and continue sewing the top of head to the sides all the way back.
- When you get to the horns sew along the inside.
- Use your remaining white felt to cut a piece that will span from one eye to the next. This felt will sit inside the head.
- Place the white felt inside the head along with stuffing to keep it in place.
- Cut a zig zag pattern along the top of your blue strip.
- Place the blue spine in-between the two side pieces and sew with a close running stitch all the way to the tip of the tail.
- Make additional strips of spine as needed.
- When you get to about an inch from the end place the flame tail in-between and continue.
- TIP: Be watching where you sew on both sides of the dragon and make sure you're going through all 3 layers.
- Sew the legs to the body using the same method you use to sew on buttons.
- Thread the needle and knot it a few times at the end.
- Locate where you will be sewing the front legs. Place the needle in, starting at the back side of the leg, bringing it up through the leg. Then stitch back through the leg in the same place and through the body.
- Place the needle through the opposite leg on the inner side. Pull the thread through the leg.
- Repeat this process of going through both legs and the body 2 or 3 more times.
- Create a shank by wrapping the thread several times around the threads that are exposed between the body and leg. I'll call it the "armpit" area. Creating a shank will add strength to the joint.
- Pull the thread through the body to the other "armpit" and make another shank.
- Bring the thread to the beginning tail thread. Knot and sew ends into the body to hide.
- Add eye embellishments and stone sticker.
Add whiskers as shown above. 4 total.