The pictures below are meant to be viewed in the context of the IAMercy March 2019 - Furlough Update. This is a message I gave on March 10, 2019 at Vertical Church (in Vinton, VA). Please listen to the update and follow along with the photos on this website.
- Seth Johnson
- Branton is one of my sons. He joined my family at the age of 11.
- The first 10 years of Branton's life were marked by multiple tragedies.
- His early memories are of death and abandonment.
- When he was 7 his mother left him with his abusive, alcoholic father.
- Branton turned to begging and recycling scrap metals to survive.
- He witnessed death multiple times before coming into my home.
- He started attending the IAMercy feedings - The Daily Bread Project - when he was 10. He longed to be taken in by my family.
- He became a part of my family when he was 11.
Branton used to be one of an estimated 70,000 street children in Nairobi. IAMercy seeks to help street children as well as other poor children and families in the Nairobi area of Kenya.
IAMercy has three projects motivated by three values that are rooted in Scripture.
Project One: The Saint Boys Project
The Johnson Family: (Left) John, Moses, Seth, Branton, Dishon (Right)
- I have four boys living with me now (these are the children currently in The Saint Boys Project).
- We do life together as a family. We eat at the same table and sleep under the same roof.
Value One: IAMercy Empowers Life
- Question by Israel: Isaiah 58:3, “Why have we fasted,’” they say, ‘and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?”
- Answer given: Isaiah 58:6-9, “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter – when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. If you do away with the yoke of oppression, and with the pointing finger and malicious talk.”
Project Two: The Daily Bread Project
- IAMercy started The Daily Bread Project in March of 2015 with 12 street children, boys only.
- One year ago there were approximately 30 people coming to the feedings, including some girls.
- Now there are between 80 and 116 people coming to the feedings, including many girls.
Value Two: IAMercy Embraces Love
Isaiah 58:10-11, “And if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”
Project Three: The IAMercy Village
Altogether there are 15 people in the Village, including 3 mothers and 12 children/young adults.
Janet and her five children were one of the first families in the IAMercy Village.
Fidelis and her two children were another of the first families in the Village.
There is a home for mature minors/young men in the Village. Boniface and Bravine are in this home currently.
Mwajuma and her three children are the most recent family to be added to The IAMercy Village.
Value Three: IAMercy Equips Leaders
- Isaiah 58:12, “Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.”
Noah is the Kenyan face of the ministry.
Nicholas helps Noah in leading The Daily Bread Project and overseeing The IAMercy Village.
IAMercy needs your help...
- Last year at this time (February/March of 2018) IAMercy had 1 home with 5 people in it (6 including me).
- As of the winter of 2019 IAMercy has 5 homes with 19 people in them (20 including me).
- Last year at this time IAMercy had about 30 people coming to its feedings.
- Now IAMercy has between 80 and 116 people coming to its feedings.
- IAMercy is actively trying to raise more funds - lots of them. Please consider becoming a monthly donor (if you are not already). Please prayerfully consider increasing your monthly giving if you are able to do so.
Please give - generously. And pray - faithfully. Thank you.