Polar Bear Description
- Black skin to soak up the sun but white fur to blend in their environment
- Female adults weigh 300-500 pounds, male adults weigh up to 900 pounds
- They are 3-5 feet on all fours, but can be up to 8 feet on hind legs.
- Polar bears have thick skin and water-repellent fur.
- Polar bears live in the Arctic.
- They are marine mammals and spend their time along the coast.
- Polar bears live near the pack ice where the wind and currents interact.
- Their big paws make them excellent swimmers.
- Polar bears like to eat the thick fat of seals.
- They are known to eat beluga whales and baby walruses.
- Sometimes they will eat bird eggs.
- They travel thousands of miles per year for food.
- Polar bears can live 20-25 years.
- They are at the top of the food chain, with humans being their biggest threat.
- International Polar Bear Day is an annual event celebrated February 27th to raise awareness about the animal and keeping them safe.