By: Allie Cody
Most of you have probably grown up with objects in elementary school, middle school, or even high school like silly bands, feathers for your hair, fidget spinners, kendamas, or pillow pets. Squishies are similar to those obsessions; however they are the fad of today, taking over Creekview one day at a time.
If you’ve never heard of squishies, I assume you live under a rock and for that reason I am praying for you. All jokes aside, squishies are a major development in society and family at Creekview High School. Squishies soon started popping up all over the school after a small friend group of juniors, two of the girls being Elizabeth Williams and Lanie Stevenson, discovered them on Instagram and later started bringing them to school. Everyone started to hop on the bandwagon and purchase one for themselves.
Lanie says that “everyone should own a squishy! Not only are they fun to play with when your stressed but they also are guaranteed to lighten up people’s moods.”
Every squishy owner has a bond similar to that of two peas in a pod, they know the highs and lows, the love and pain that consists of owning your own little squishy. When the first dreaded tear begins to form from all the love and squeezes, you know that it’s almost time for retirement. And don’t worry! When that time comes, someone will be able to help you through because I guarantee another squishy owner has been through the same devastating loss.
If you want to keep up with Creekview High School’s squishy epidemic I suggest you follow @creekviewsquishys on Instagram. You won’t miss a beat when it comes to all squishies Creekview has to offer.
Top Ten Rom Coms to Watch on Valentine’s Day
By: Karissa Chilcote
Romantic comedies are a staple for Valentine’s Day. They can set the mood or replace a date. These movies will leave you feeling light and romantic. Here are the top ten rom-coms to watch on Valentine’s Day.
1. 10 Things I Hate About You- Based on Shakespeare’s play “The Taming of the Shrew”, an outcasted senior who hates people, Katarina, (Julia Stiles), with a popular, pretty, little sister, Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), who isn’t allowed to date until the older sister does. The new kid in school, Cameron (Joesph Gordon-Levitt), is determined to date Bianca. He decides to bribe the edgy, pretty boy, jerk, played by Heath Ledger, into dating Kat so his plan would work. With the unpredictable plot and actors this movie is a must see rom-com.
2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days- Benjamin Berry (Matthew McConaughey) is an advertising executive and a ladies’ man who bets, to win a big promotion, that he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is the writer of the “How To” column for Composure magazine and is writing “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”. The two met in a bar and determine to test the other without knowing. This movie is filled with do’s and do not’s and is a staple to the rom-com genre.
3. Can’t Buy Me Love- Ronald Miller (Patrick Dempsey) is a nerd who is ready to become popular makes a deal with the most popular girl, Cindy Mancini (Amanda Peterson), to help boost his status. After offering a thousand dollars, they agree to be fake dating for a month. Although the plan works, popularity costs too much for him. The two realize their lives are different, leading to the title, Can't Buy Me Love. This 80s classic is best served with ice cream. 4. Sweet Home Alabama- A born and raised country girl, Melanie Carmichael, makes a name for herself in New York City but properly divorce her husband so she can marry her new city man. He refuses to sign the paperwork forcing her come home for the first time in seven years. Reece Witherspoon, Josh Lucas, and Patrick Dempsey make this movie make you want to come home.
5. Kate and Leopold- Kate and her brother lives in New York City with her ex-boyfriend, Stuart, above her. He time travels back to the 19th century and takes a picture of the scenery. A man of that time period, Leopold, is interested by Stuard’s device and follows him back to present day. Leopold has no idea how modern day works and gets help from Kate’s sister who believes Leopold is acting. Leopold tries to adjust to the new world while making a friend, Kate. This movie stars Meg Ryan as Kate and Hugh Jackman as Leopold. This movie combines love and adventure, leaving you on the edge of your seat.6. My Big Fat Greek Wedding- This 2002 rom com is about, Toula and her traditional Greek family. He father, Gus, wants her to marry a nice Greek boy, but Toula meets a non-Greek high school English teacher, Ian. They have to secretly date behind her dad’s back. Eventually, Gus comes to terms with Ian and Ian comes to accept Toula’s giant Greek family. Nia Vardalos, Michael Constantine, John Corbett and others star in this family film. This movie is a great watch with your family.
7. Grease- This classic storyline follows two teens in the fifties. After a summer of romance, Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) discover they now are attending the same school. Danny is part of the leather-loving greasers while Sandy is friends with the Pink Ladies, a group of girls with a fearless leader. They quickly realize that in school, they aren’t the same people as over the summer. They learn that in order to be together, they must put their differences behind. Grease is a classic for all who love a good rivalry.
8. Ever After: A Cinderella Story- Based on the Brothers Grimm story Cinderella, the movie follows Danielle, the daughter of a wealthy widower who remarries to an evil lady with two daughters. Soon after the marriage, Danielle’s father dies of a heart attack. Ten years later Danielle is the servant to the family. She meets Prince Henry, who is fleeing an arranged marriage. They quickly become interested in each other. Starring Drew Barrymore as Danielle, Anjelica Huston as Rodmilla, and Dougray Scott as Prince Henry, this movie is the classic Cinderella story with a happily ever after.
9. Bridget Jones’s Diary- Bridget (Renee Zellweger) is an average woman who is struggling with her imperfections. As a New Year’s Resolution, she starts a diary to help her become more honest with herself. After she starts, her life seems to improve; her attractive boss starts to how interest in her and she keeps bumping into a disagreeing acquaintance who is quite attractive. This movie, starring Colin Firth and Hugh Grant, creates the perfect love triangle scenerio.
10. Love Actually- It's Christmas time in London, England, the most romantic time of the year. This movie follows the lives of eight couples dealing with their love lives around this time. Each story is slightly related to each other. With Hugh Grant, Lian Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Keira Knightley, Martine McCutcheon, Bill Nighy, and Rowan Atkinson, this carefully designed movie is a great rom-com.
Top 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2019
By: Sergio Alberto Davila Vargas
10. Shazam: DC’s Shazam is essentially Spiderman’s childlike nature and Superman’s difficulty of being a normal human and a god at the same time. This movie could quite possibly become the movie we all wished from Man of Steel, with light hearted humor and actual emotional characters. Zachary Levi is the titular character, and from the first trailer it seems like he fits the Shazam character model. It will certainly be a great fit for the DC universe when it releases on April 5.
9. Lion King (2019): The Lion King is the perfect example of Disney trying to make money off of fans by remaking a perfect classic. However, the film will not be a shoot for shoot remake of the original, but it will carry many of the songs and key story points. The movie honestly will be okay, but it will not top the original, as most remakes inherently don’t. The film will be released on July 19.
8. Spiderman: Far from Home :Spiderman: Far from Home will be the first MCU film that will be after Endgame, so it will be the most impactful on the MCU. The film will be a fun European adventure story with some rom-com elements. Possibly the first MCU Spiderman motion picture that will portray Peter Parker as an actual unlucky character who learns from his mistakes and misfortune for once; a fun, summer movie. The film will be released on July 5.
7. Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel is Marvel’s attempt to diversify their film lineup. As a comic book fan, Captain Marvel has become the personification of poor diversification in comics, and the film has had multiple signs of this occurring in the film itself. One of the main problems marvel made Captain Marvel the strongest character of the MCU. There is also the problems of Bree Larson giving a bland performance in trailers and this has not been a problem to the MCU films. Unfortunately, the problem has been seen in DC with Batman V. Superman so its making me feel a bit unsettled for its fate. With all those flaws the film still seems fun, so it will be a deceive film to say the least. The film will be released on March 8.
6. Toy Story 4: Now the younger teachers of the school will argue that this film is 100% unnecessary and that Disney is just trying to defecate on the grave of Toy Story to make some more money. The film will be that, plus a conclusion to the toy’s own story lines, not just their story line with Andy. The film will be an adventure road trip that will take the toys through a Spork’s existential crisis as he learn realizes he’s a toy and is alive now. It is a weird direction the film is going for the last one, but it can satisfy a question that many people have on how the toys are alive, or what dictates being alive. The film will be a surprise to say to the least. The film will be released on June 21.
5.Detective Pikachu:The Detective Pikachu movie is 100% what Sonic the Hedgehog the movie was supposed to be. The film has had 2 trailers that present a neo-futuristic, detective film that has cute creatures and awesome action set pieces. The film is taking liberties on the original Pokémon cartoon and card games lore, but paying the correct amount of homage to the original material. The titular character, Detective Pikachu, will be played by Deadpool himself Ryan Reynolds. To be honest Ryan Reynolds is most likely just going to have fun with the characters. The film will be released on May 10.
4. Sonic the Hedgehog: Sonic the Hedgehog has been a controversial character in a way as, yes the original game was great and innovating and fun. The follow ups to the original games were sub-par at best and at worst atrocious. Sonic has had a lot of success in merchandising, from animated shows, to toys, to cross franchising with Nintendo franchises. There has been direct to home animated Sonic films, but there has not been a big screen release. Now you would think that Paramount and Saga would go with a animated film that follows the 90s cartoon, that’s way too logical for Paramount, but no. The film will be a CGI and live action film. Now it is anticipated for the poster they have released and how odd Sonic’s character model looks. The film will probably be fairly bad, but hopefully it will be fun and campy. The film will be released on November 8.
3. How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World (HTTYD3) How to Train Your Dragon 3 is one of the most anticipated animated films... Well for our generation. The HTTYD franchise has grown up with us, and has been growing up with us. The film will be the conclusion of the franchise. The film will visit Toothless and Hiccup as they grow into their responsibilities of being leaders, and how they will learn to have their own family. From what is known of the film it’ll be a toothless center piece focusing on his journey to become less domesticated to find a lady friend. The franchise has always been a grade A example of what makes DreamWorks animation so great, with amazing colorful character design and breathtaking landscapes. It will be a refreshing film after DreamWorks’s last few films. The film will be released on February 22.
2. Star Wars IX: After the decisive mess that was the Last Jedi and the financial bomb that was the Han solo, solo film. Episode IX will be directed by J.J Abrahams, the creator of the newest trilogy and the director of the Force Awakens. Abrahams originally planned for a completely different film for the last Jedi, the film was supposed to be a film about the neutrality of nature. Rian Johnson, the Director of the Last Jedi, tried to mimic Abrahams’ story idea but failed by relapsing to a binary nature story. The film will be a make or break film that will be the decisive factor on with Disney will produce more Star Wars projects. So, let's cross our fingers and hope it all goes well. The film will be released on December 20.
1.Avengers Endgame: Avengers Endgame is potentially the most hyped marvel movie in the MCU’s history. The film will be the follow up to the massive successful hit the was Infinity War. Endgame will be the conclusion to the Directors, the Russo Brothers, and multiple actors that their contracts are over, or their characters have had their story arcs completed a movie or 2 ago. There has been no solid evidence of what the plot maybe or who truly the villain maybe, but with a film so anticipated as Endgame sometimes surprises become the best part of the film. The film will be released on April 26.
Jace Whitley and Matt Sykes
It’s that time of the year again! You may find yourself frantically signing up for classes and scrambling to figure out what clubs to join, but don’t let it fluster you! To prepare for the upcoming year, we polled students across our school to create the perfect helping hand for your decisions!
Joey Gallagher, a team captain of the Aeronautics club gives insight on the joys of aeronautics, “I love aeronautics, being able to build my own rocket and experiment with new ideas lets me have the most fun. Every Friday I’ll stay until 6 or 7p.m. just drafting new fins for the rocket or maybe calculating the perfect center of gravity.”
Aeronautics Club is an incredibly successful club that’s been to nationals in consecutive years and just won the title for international champion, competing against over 1,000 teams.
Carter Burch, another captain for the Aeronautics club assures that, “If you have an interest in engineering at all, then I would definitely join. It’s a lot more than you think it is, trust me.”
However, if you’re looking for a club to help beef up your resumé, Stephanie Henderson, a junior, advises “If you can, joining as many national honor societies is always a good start to building academic resumés.”
There are plenty of options that if academics is what you’re interested in. National Science Honor Society, National Math Honor Society, and the newly formed Social Studies Honor society are just come choices.
National Honor Societies are highly recommended for most competitive colleges such as University of Georgia or Georgia Tech.
Josh Whitley, a senior at Georgia Tech majoring in Chemical Engineering suggests, “If you want to major in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) career, then I would definitely try to join at least one of those clubs, they’re super important for college admissions.”
Most importantly, join a club you have a passion for. Unfortunately, we can’t cover all 47 clubs that our school has to offer, but hopefully this article can help give you a better idea of what you might want to do next year and maybe even help you decide what you want to do as a career.
To check out a complete list of the school’s clubs, visit the Creekview Website or the complete list on the Cafeteria wall!
What Is the Best Schedule for Me?
It is finally that time of the year where we start to plan for next year and attempt to create the perfect schedule. The idea of planning an entire school year may be overwhelming to some; but there is no need to fear! Your Creekview Clawprint News has spent hours researching the perfect schedule for every student. All you have to do is keep reading and all your stress will be washed away as we help with the important decisions.
Most importantly, you must pick your 4 core classes (history, math, literature, and science). Most students, such as Chloe Henderson, recommend that you choose rigorous core classes “that will push you to your limit,” but not stress you out too much.
When determining if on-level, honors, or AP level classes are best for you, it is important to keep in mind which subjects are best suited to you and how much time you can set aside to study. If you are proficient in a subject field and have time to study, you should sign up for AP. Besides, if next year you decide that it will be too hard for you, it is much easier to drop down to honors or on-level than it is to go up to AP from honors or AP.
While picking your core classes can be stressful to many, picking your electives should be an exciting task because you can choose what interests you. Jace Whitley advises that you, “don’t choose classes because they will be easy.” Choose electives because they will be interesting, fun, and help you later in life. Creekview offers many fun electives that may overlap in your favorite subject area; if you prefer math classes you can sign up for AP statistics or Engineering. And if you are creative and enjoy writing, classes like Journalism and Yearbook could be a perfect fit for you. Depending on your grade level you can sign up for Social Studies classes, such as AP Human Geography, Economics, or AP Comparative Government. And if the science field interests you, The Clawprint News recommends Computer Science, or Forensic Science. None of these sound appealing? You can also choose to gain experience in the work place by signing up for work-based learning. This course allows you to leave school early and work at a job of your choice.
When you design your schedule, it is important to complete the form in pencil so that you can erase your choices until you find the schedule that is perfect for you. You will know that your schedule is perfect when you are confident that it will be challenging, enjoyable, and interesting. If you have any questions about the workload of a class you are interested in taking, you should talk to upperclassmen that have already taken the class, the teacher of the class, or your counselor who will help you craft the perfect schedule.
2019 Prom 101: "The Dress"
Prom can be an amazing and fun experience that you will remember forever! One of the most important factors is finding “THE DRESS”.
Dress shopping can be a fun and exciting time; however, it can also be quite stressful! So, if you are looking for some helpful tips to find your perfect dress, keep reading!
Timing is key when it comes to finding a prom dress. The earlier the better! Creekview’s Prom will be held on May 4th this year, so it is important to start looking now. If you begin shopping months before, you’re more likely to have more options and feel less rushed to find a dress.
Hannah Fitzgerald, a second time prom go-er, said “I like to shop months ahead so that I have plenty of time to find matching shoes, jewelry, and get alterations.” So, start your cars and grab your purses because it’s time to go shopping!
There are tons of local dress shops and boutiques that will most likely have exactly what you’re looking for. For example, Camila Gooden just bought her prom dress at CC’s. “CC’s has so many options and the workers are extremely helpful” says Camila Gooden.
Emily Wilkie found her perfect dress at Girl Girl Boutique. She says that “there were too many to pick from”. A helpful tip for finding stores is searching “prom dress shops near me” into Google. Don’t be afraid to go to consignment shops! You may get lucky and strike a deal! Another option is renting a dress from someone else. Many girls will advertise their dresses on Instagram or Facebook, so make sure you’re watching out for those!
How to Find “THE DRESS”
Confidence is exactly what you need to find a dress that you love! Bringing friends or a family member to help you pick out and decide what looks best is always extremely helpful. Also, don’t be afraid to ask the employees for help! They are professionals and can help you find a dress that compliments your body type, style, and skin tone.
Valentine's Day: Do's and Do Not's
Written by: Jace Whitley
Procrastination plagues everyone now and then, but do not let it corrupt your Valentine’s Day! In preparation of the romantic holiday that is inching closer and closer, we interviewed students across the school asking for their opinion and advice on how to plan the ultimate Valentine’s Day.
For this holiday, you’re shopping for the perfect gift for that special someone. Here are some steps to help you down the right path:
Step 1) Ask them what they want. Communication is key.
Step 2) Actually listen to them. Do not try to surprise them with something they did not ask for. Junior, Kieran Macdonald recommends, “It’s always a good idea to go with a safe, thoughtful gift.”
Step 3) Make a plan that does not make you seem weird or creepy.
Step 4) Execute the plan without procrastinating. If you are going to dinner, make a reservation ahead of time.
If you forego step one and two, here are your top three gift ideas to give your special someone according to a poll of ten classmates:
1) Any type of food/favorite restaurant
(Maybe even a hug!)
In addition to these top gift ideas, it’s most important that you keep your significant other in mind when buying or doing something for them. Matt Sykes, a junior, says that, “It’s also important to make sure that the gift means something, giving something flashy without any meaning to the person is generally a risky idea.”
Of course, each relationship is different depending on the person, but hopefully these tips will give you some thoughts on what to do. Good luck and may Cupid be with you!
Photo Credits: https://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day-2#&gid=ci0230e63090492549&pid=red-roses-2
Let it Snow!
By: Karissa Chilcote
It is officially SUPPOSED to be the snowiest time in the year and there is no blimp of snow on the radar. Students are having to sit in class everyday, and we all know what they are thinking. “Please, let us have a snow day!” Well, you are in luck because these special tricks are reported to guarantee snow.
1) Put a spoon under your pillow.
2) Sleep with your pajamas inside out and backwards.
3) Drop one ice cube in the toilet for every inch of snow you desire.
4) Eat ice cream the night before.
5) Shake a snow globe every time you pass one.
In addition to these known legends, the Clawprint polled students over how they prepare for the snow, or if they have any personal legends/superstitions they follow. Senior, Mac Scales, explained that she always tries “to make sure all her friends end up in the same place.” Mac explained that she and her friends do this so that they can spend the snow day together. Although Mac and her friends want to enjoy their free time together, Carter Thompson, a junior, states that he “doesn’t do much” besides making sure there’s enough food in the house.
Snow days can also be enjoyable for the teachers too! These brief respites from the routine allow them to spend time with their families. Economic teacher, Mrs. Brown, says that she makes sure she has “hot chocolate for her kids and her work computer.”
So, let’s work together to get the snow day we are all hoping for!
Barrel House Coffee Company
By Maddie McGough
A brand new coffee shop opened in Ball Ground called Barrel House Coffee Company!
“Their main selling point is that they sell regular coffee and they also sell barrel house coffee which is brewed in barrels similar to the way that whiskey is made. They have cute little pastries too,” said Creekview Senior and Ball Ground Resident Elise Holcomb.
The shop opened on December 8th, 2018. The owners say that the menu options will expand as the business does. The shop is located at 275 Gilmer Ferry Road, suite 5. The store is open Tuesday – Sunday from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and closed on Monday but is subject to change. The business is co-run by two local couples: Ryan and Kathryn Turnage and James and Nicole Howard.
The coffee shop is a great place to hang out and/or get some homework done while enjoying a great cup of coffee. If you are a coffee lover this is definitely a great place to check out.
Karissa Chilcote and Sergio Alberto Davila Vargas
Upscale restaurants are hit or miss. To save you from blowing money on dissatisfying food, we’ve gone to the trouble of testing out the cuisine.
We polled third period lunch students and asked what up-scale restaurants that they either like or are curious about. Since Provino's received the most hype, we decided to dine there ourselves and review the restaurant through two lenses: food and atmosphere. Here’s what we found.
Restaurants do not just simply sell you on the cuisine, but also on the atmosphere. An Italian restaurant should feel like a warm Italian home, yet high end and clean. Provino’s contains both a family friendly and high-end atmosphere, leaving you feeling warm and homey. The restaurant has one debilitating aspect to the overall atmosphere: carpeted sections. The carpeted sections can be prone to being extremely dirty and messy by the end of the night and it can be a pain to thoroughly clean it. Besides that, the restaurant was well maintained.
The staff was always willing to help and keep us well served. Once we were led to our table and got situated, our waiter came to take our drink order within a few minutes. After we received our food, the manager walked by to confirm that everything was going well. The restaurant’s atmosphere overall was great, and I would 100 percent go again just for the atmosphere. The restaurant’s construction gives the opportunity for people to have intimate conversations with your party. There are also areas where you can dine with a large group and still have room around you to have an enjoyable time in the restaurant. The soft warm light leaves the tables with a slight romantic hue that is the perfect amount of light and typical to see in up-scale restaurants.
Looking at the menu, we were overwhelmed with the cursive Italian words that promise a well-cooked meal. Provino’s serves a variety of Italian dishes ranging from seafood, meat, and vegetarian. One dish we ordered was the Manicotti, which is a cheese stuffed shell covered in your choice of marinara sauce or meat sauce on top covered in baked cheese. This dish provides a delicious balance between the savory sauce and creamy cheese. I originally thought the price was a little high; but, after that first bite, I instantly thought I would pay more for this decadent dish.After we happily devoured our light yet filling meal, we were handed the menus back to look at desserts. We ordered the Spumoni, an ice cream dish composed of different color scoops of a pistachio and rum flavored ice cream with a coconut flavored cookie. The dessert was light and didn’t add to our bursting bellies.
Overall, our experience exceeded our expectations and Provino’s will easily become a regular visit. With the combination of great service and even better food, we highly recommend Provino’s to anyone in need of a good authentic Italian dish.
Five Things to do in Canton
By: Julia Pfitzner
Have you ever been sitting at home bored out of your mind? Or have you ever wondered, what is there to do around town? Well look no more! Here are five fun things to do around Canton!
1. Aimlessly wandering around Canton Marketplace- If you are ever in the mood to shop, to eat, or to just walk around, Canton Marketplace is the place for you. There is everything you ever needed—Target, Dunkin’ Donuts, Chick-fil-a, and more! Canton Marketplace is the perfect place to hang with friends or just to take some time for yourself! The options are endless.
2. Bowling and Movies- The bowling alley and movies are perfect if you are just looking for a chill place to unwind with friends. Try the bowling alley if you are looking for a social environment with music and laughter. Try the movies if you are looking for a quiet, laid backed environment with plenty of popcorn and slushies. Either place is a win if you want some time with friends.
3. Visit Downtown Canton- Do you like shopping, taking pictures, or eating delicious food? Well if you answered yes, then Downtown Canton is the place for you! For the “shop-o-holics", stop at boutiques such as B’Loved or Indigo and Oak for some trendy outfits. For those of you looking for a cute Instagram post, stop at the Old Courthouse for pictures with a cool marble background. For the foodies, stop at the Hoagie Shop or splurge at restaurants like Goin’ Coastal! No matter what you like, Downtown Canton is the answer.
4. Skatepark at Veterans Park- Looking for a place to ride that new skateboard or hang with friends? The Skatepark at Veterans is the place! At the skatepark, you can ride your board, goof off with friends, or check out the amazing views of the sunrise and sunset. It is the perfect place to escape to the great outdoors. If you are looking for some fresh air, check out the skatepark!
5. Eat at Las Palmas- Las Palmas may be the most popular restaurant for Creekview students. If you want to see everyone you attend school with, visit Las Palmas! Along with unlimited chips and salsa, you will most likely see your whole math class including your teacher. Las Palmas is for sure the go to restaurant to hang with friends. It allows space to socialize while indulging on your favorite Mexican food.
Although you may find Canton boring at times, it does have some fun places to go. Whether you’re looking to socialize, to eat some food, or to just wander, Canton for sure has the perfect activity for you!
BLOOD MOON RISING
By: Elise Holcomb
North Georgia is in for a treat this Sunday. On January 20, 2019, a total lunar eclipse will adorn the sky. The partial eclipse begins at 10:33 PM. The full eclipse starts at 11:41 PM and reaches totality at 12:12 AM on Monday and lasts for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Also called a Blood Moon, lunar eclipses occur when the Earth casts a shadow on the moon. “Lunar eclipses are fairly common. You can have up to seven in one year,” said Mrs. Panik, the astronomy teacher.
For the skeptics out there wondering why this astronomical treat is not as hyped as a solar eclipse, solar eclipses occur when the moon covers the sun. The moon is much smaller than the sun, so the area that views totality is much smaller than when the Earth covers the moon. “Solar eclipses, like we had in 2017, are much more-rare and have a narrower totality area, so it’s gets more coverage,” explains Mrs. Panik, “Totality for this lunar eclipse includes all of North and South America. It’s huge!”
Lunar eclipses are much easier to view and photograph as well. “You could take a picture of the eclipse with your phone,” says Mrs. Panik. However, she suggests a camera set to a long exposure for a clearer, more vibrant picture. “If you set the exposure to around one minute, you’ll get a great picture,” says Panik, “make sure you set it on a tripod or your car hood or somewhere it won’t shake to make sure it’s clear.”
While many people travelled to view the solar eclipse, you can enjoy the hi-def and panoramic view of the lunar eclipse from the comfort of your own back (or front) yard! “The beauty of lunar eclipses is that they have a bigger penumbra. You can see it just as well in the mountains as downtown Atlanta,” says Panik. Mrs. Panik says she knows some people are travelling to the mountains, like Brasstown Bald, to view the eclipse, but it won’t really make much difference in the view.
Unfortunately, weather will have a significant impact on the eclipse. “We better pray for clear skies,” says Panik. According to the Weather Channel, Sunday has a 20% chance of rain, with clouds in the AM and sun in the PM. The high is 52 degrees and the low is 17 degrees with wind at 17 mph. If you plan on viewing the eclipse, make sure you bundle up!
The next total lunar eclipse in our area is May 26, 2021, so take advantage of this opportunity and our day off!
For more information, please visit www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21.
Creekview Basketball Senior: Hannah Fitzgerald
By: Josie Johnson
Senior year is a feeling that nobody understands until they are living through it. Students have spent their whole life working towards one goal, a high school diploma. But when I think of my senior year, the first thing that comes to mind is not the classes I’m taking or what college I’m going to, I'm thinking about my last year of sports.
Seniors who have played sports their whole life but chose not to play in college are about to give up a part of themselves. Every athlete soaks up every moment they have left playing the sport they love. Another season of Creekview Basketball is coming to a close, and senior Hannah Fitzgerald is playing her last few games as a Grizzly.
Hannah Fitzgerald has been playing basketball since she was in first grade and she “can’t believe that it’s almost over!” Fitzgerald states that her last season, “has been really fun and the team has made so many memories.”
Even though Fitzgerald states she “won’t miss practices every day, ” she says she will “miss the competition and friendships” that basketball has brought to her life.
With their goals being around the corner, the Grizzlies season is not over yet. Come out and support your Lady Grizzlies Friday 15th as they take on Pope in the first round of the state tournament!
Photo Credits: Amber Cloy Photography
February Swim and Soccer
The state swim team headed to Georgia Tech on February 8th. The girls that made it to state included Natalie Allen, Adare Comody, Leigh Gotfrodsen, Ashley Hammond, Paige Heeman, Elisabeth Joseph, Maddie Law, Gabbie Seguin, and Madison Wechter. The boys included Justin Bolsen, Jadon Deaton, Logan Griffin, DJ Jarrett, Peter Means, Tristan Shaw, and Will Thomas. Logan Griffin advanced to the finals for the 200 IM! Way to go grizzlies!
The Creekview Lady Grizzlies Soccer team took on Chestatee at home on Tuesday, February 12th. Macy Allen scored the first goal and Channing Pantano scored the following two, ending the game with a 3-1 win. Great job lady grizzlies!
Tigers Defeat the Crimson Tide
On Monday January 7, the Clemson Tigers defeated the odds by beating the Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2018 NCAA College Football Championship. Alabama, the reigning champions, were expected to win, but Clemson brought their best game to Santa Clara, California. The Tigers prevailed 44-16.
After the first quarter, the score was 14-13 with each team matching each other’s intensity, but after a dominating second quarter, the Tigers took the lead. With both teams having two of the best quarterbacks in college football, Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) and Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama), the game was bound to be high scoring. In the second half, Clemson scored only twice, but that was enough to guarantee the Tigers a 2018 National Championship.
The next day at Creekview, students discussed the outcome of the game. Senior Brianna Stubbs was rooting for Clemson because “they've lost the past couple of years.” Stubbs says, “I thought it was a really good game because it was back and forth the first couple of quarters.” When asked about next year’s national championship, Stubbs predicts the same two teams “because they are getting really good recruits next year.”
Senior Paxton Nayman, a football commit to West Point, also shared his opinion on the game. Nayman was glad Clemson won “because Alabama always wins and it’s annoying.” According to Nayman, the game was a “blowout with Clemson absolutely being the better team.” Nayman predicts next year the national championship will be between Georgia and Oklahoma being a “battle of the monsters.”
Image Credits: Matthew Emmons
Oscar Nomination Forerunners
By: Grace Teachworth and Sergio Alberto Davila Vargas
The Oscars are just around the corner and movie lovers all around the world are tuning in to see if their favorites will win the prestigious award. There is a wide variety of nominees, but we’re here to discuss the fan favorites.
Best Motion Picture: Two movies are head to head to win the best motion picture. The top two contenders are A Star is Born starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper and Vice starring Christian Bale and Amy Adams. A Star is Born (2018) is the third remake of the film, the first being from 1937. The movie itself won over fans very quickly with the love story and its heartbreaking ending. On the other hand, Vice is more so a top pick through the Academy’s eyes. The movie follows the story of former Vice President Dick Cheney’s life throughout his time in office with former President George W. Bush. Vice is the favored of the two from the current buzz.
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Christian Bale is the forerunner, possibly beating Bradley Cooper and Rami Malek. After seeing Vice, it is safe to say that Bale is a top contender. Bale has already won an Oscar for his performance in The Fighter and receives nominations for his performances in American Hustle and The Big Short. Bale is praised as a method actor and just knowing he had to stuff his face to gain 40 pounds to play the VP. Knowing that can sicken us into thinking how much pie he had to eat, but also impressed with his dedication. Best Actress in a Leading Role: Lady Gaga for A Star is Born and Glenn Close for The Wife. Lady Gage has shown the world that not only can she sing, she can also act. Her performance as Allie was beautiful and earned her a Golden Globe nomination this year, but she lost to Glenn Close. Glenn Close, who won the Golden Globe for best actress is also nominated again. Having already been nominated six other times since 1983, this may be her year to win.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali in Green Book. Ali won best supporting actor in 2017 for his role in Moonlight. In Green Book, Ali plays classical pianist Dr. Don Shirley and has been praised for his performance. Based on his last nomination in 2017, it wouldn’t be surprising if he won again.
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Regina King in If Beale Street Could Talk. Regina King already won the Golden Globe in this category and based off her performance as Sharon Rivers, the mother of a young woman whose sweetheart is arrested for a crime he did not commit. She plays the anchor for her daughter during the entire ordeal of her “son-in-law” Alfonso’s trial. It is believed that she will beat out other nominees, such as Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz.
Films have the most unique story telling advantages and disadvantages. There are multiple astonishing people that work through these difficulties. The screenwriters must push innovation to create fresh and original stories that create amazing stories with heart and personalities. The nominees for this year’s Oscars for best original screenplay include... “The Favourite,” Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, “First Reformed,” Paul Schrader, “Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly, “Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón, and “Vice,” Adam McKay. These films all have the potential for this esteemed award, but the film with the most likely chance of winning is Roma. Roma is incredibly well written with human and complex emotions portrayed through clever and serious dialogue and actions.
Film is a visual art and speaks to people through the action of the actors who are performing a complex story of human struggles. Cinematography will always enhance the viewing experience of the film as the characters can never express everything through their actions, color, tone, camera sweeps, and transitions are just some examples of what film can express. The nominees are... “Cold War,” Lukasz Zal, “The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan, “Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel, “Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón, and “A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique. The film to win best cinematography is Roma, as Cuarón has had masterfully expresses the characters distress with simple but complex scene construction.
Animation tends to be thrown into an unfair level as they tend to be classified as “children’ films. This year’s nominees have a mixture of maturity and immaturity to them, the nominees for best animated films are...Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, Mirai, Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse, andRalph Breaks the Internet. There are two films that are likely to win best animated film: Spider-verse or Isle of Dogs. The two films have mature film-making techniques that have roots in their respected cultural atmospheres.
Ultimately a movie is created and figured out by the vision of the director behind the lens. A director's directions create astonishing stories that face the sands of time and is remembered in history. Alfonso Cuarón (Roma), Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite), Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman), Adam McKay (Vice), Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War). Caurón ultimately will win the award as he perfectly shaped an artistic film from his memory and his creativity. The film holds something unique that can only be found in a Caurón mind.
Tune in to see who wins next Sunday on February 24th.
Comedic Film of the Week
I think that everyone can agree that they have felt over-looked and ignored at least once in their life; I know I have. This is exactly what Amy Schumer’s character, Renee, feels on a day to day basis. She trudges around day to day doing the mundane tasks most of us high schoolers do, until she falls and hits her head quite hard.
Instead of waking up as the same disappointed Renee, she wakes up believing she is one of the most beautiful women to walk the face of the Earth and becomes overly confident (i.e. her telling a fashion designer she is willing to model for her). There is one dilemma though. She believes she’s in an entire new body and does not realize everything is the same except for her mindset.
So, how do you think she will feel when she realizes that only her mindset has changed? Well, that’s for you guys to find out on your own. No spoilers here!
I truly had to stifle my laughter as I was on a plane while watching it, but I cannot stress that it is absolutely hilarious! The movie has a wonderful message about accepting yourself, and it does not punch you in the face with it. The point of the movie is to be funny, which it does a great job with that. I totally recommend this film for anyone who wants a good laugh!
Starbucks Cup: Real or Fake?
By: Emily McPhail
Conspiracy theories are not a new concept towards society. From ridiculous theories such as whether the moon landing happened, to the more plausible theories such as JFK’s assassination, conspiracy theories provide a wide range of information and give us a bigger understanding of some people’s beliefs. There is one conspiracy that not a lot of people know about. It involves the infamous Starbucks cup, and the theory asks if baristas purposefully misspell people’s names on the cup to gain attention. For some people, getting their name misspelled has never been an issue for them.
For sophomore Jadon Deaton, that is a different story. “To me, it’s honestly kind of depressing that they would misspell my name, sometimes I get annoyed, sometimes I don’t. It just happens sometimes” says Deaton.
Jadon’s name is spelled J-A-D-O-N, but he states that it has often been misspelled as Jadyn, Jaden or even sometimes, Jordan. The actual conspiracy states that baristas purposefully misspell people’s name on the Starbucks cup so consumers will post this mistake on social media as a way of free advertising.
“I think this conspiracy is quite plausible” says Deaton. He was even asked if he had used a fake name on a Starbucks cup before, and unsurprisingly he has.
“I’ve used Joe, Jackson, and even Deborah” says Deaton.
The thought of misspelling names on purpose for free advertising is still very much in the air. However, this theory begs the question: Do baristas spell names wrong on purpose? Or do they do it because they don’t know, and it is an honest mistake?
Spongebob: Representing the 7 Deadly Sins
By McKinnon Williams
Spongebob is easily one of the most popular kids cartoon tv shows of all time. With its witty jokes, it makes it a popular hit among people of all ages. Yet, some have looked deep into the origin of the show and have made an almost seemingly accurate interpretation of the characters. Speculators have determined that each of the main characters of Spongebob represent one of the 7 Deadly Sins.
Spongebob Squarepants: Lust-Spongebob square pants is the main character and face of the show. Throughout all seasons, Sponge Bob is known to show excessive love for all of his friends and his job. It’s all he talks about and even dreams about. In one episode, his boss, Mr. Krabs, decided to make the Krusty Krab open 24 hours and this did nothing but excite Spongebob. Call anyone crazy, but Spongebob sure does fit the description of a lustful person.
Patrick Star: Sloth-Sloth is known as extreme laziness and described as doing nothing most of the time. He once won an award for just standing and existing in the episode “Big Pink Loser.” He spends his time either sleeping or eating and if that isn’t sloth, I don’t know what is.
Plankton: Envy- Plankton is known to be relentless at trying to steal the krabby patty formula his whole life. He envy’s Mr. Krabs success at his business and has always wanted to steal it away from him. His intense need for being good at something and to be successful exists in the whole entire plot of the show. He obsessively keeps up with Mr. Krabs in order to be on top/ahead of him, however he never gets that secret formula.
Mr. Krabs: Greed- Mr. Krabs is known for his love of money. He will do anything to get a deal or make a quick buck. In many episodes, he is shown as cheap and occasionally tries to reinvent the Krusty Krab to get more money. His signature catch phrase is even “money, money, money.” He runs the Krusty Krab with the slogan that, “The money is always right,” not the customer. Coincidence? I think not.
Gary: Gluttony -Gary is Spongebob’s pet snail, and he is known to not ever say anything except just eat or drink. He shows characteristics of a bow cat by meowing and using a litter box. There isn’t much said on his character, but he is the one that most closely represents gluttony. In one episode, Spongebob dreams that he meets Gary and that Gary held a large vocabulary, hinting that he descended from royalty. Maybe Gary’s gluttony was internalized by his family’s wealthy lifestyle.
Squidward: Wrath- Squidward is known as the character that is hardly ever in a good mood, and he hates his life. He shows intense anger towards everyone and constantly is putting down Spongebob (you could say bringing “wrath” upon Spongebob’s happy attitude). In one episode, Spongebob plays a prank on Squidward, causing Squidward to overreact and to throw Spongebob around the Krusty Krab. Squidward sure does have a lot of hate.
Sandy Cheeks: Pride- Sandy Cheeks is a squirrel from Texas living underwater. She always is doing crazy stunts and showing off her skills. In one episode, she misses her hometown saying it is the best place in the world, dedicating a song to how she “wants to go home.” She tends to overestimate her actual abilities to do activities because of her big ego. As she brags about her Texas hometown, she tends to forget that her friends can’t even go to Texas because they need water to survive. Selfish much?
Fluoride: Friend or Foe?
By: Michael Solano
Fluoride is supposed to help dental health; however, skeptics argue that the government has a more sinister plot in mind. In 2008, over 72 percent of the U.S. population started to receive fluoridated water which was advertised to help the overall dental health within the United States. Was it really JUST fluoridated water, or something else? Skeptics question the validity of the government’s claims that this additive was put into our drinking water for our health.
A popular belief is that there is more behind the story than fluoride in the water. This theory is that fluoride is hurting the younger generation because their body cannot process it as well as the older generations; therefore, it is preventing their minds from fully developing. A more ludicrous theory is that the fluoride in the water is actually a strong tranquillizer in disguise, and that the United States’ Government is trying to turn all of the citizens into “zombies.”
Even if the fluoride is harmless and is not a top-secret project from the United States’ Government, some people argue that the addition of the fluoride is immoral and ethically corrupt because the public was not given the option for the fluoride. Essentially, the government forced this additive upon citizens without their consent.
In addition, taxpayer’s hard-earned money is being used to fund this project. According to numerous healthcare professionals, the addition of fluoride in the water is not the best way to help nationwide dental health and tooth decay.
The question still remains, fluoridated water- friend or foe?
Created with images by Jamie Street - "A rose by any other name" • annca - "popcorn cinema ticket" • Andrew Seaman - "corsage" • Sandra_M_H - "snowman snow winter" • Nathan Dumlao - "Mondaze" • skeeze - "blood moon lunar eclipse sequence" • AnnRos - "football ball soccer" • 470906 - "film film roll filmstrip" • Engin_Akyurt - "starbucks glass coffee" • Unknown - "Free photo Cartoons Tv Spongebob Squarepants Patrick ..." • rawpixel - "untitled image"