- Buy only what you need
- Follow the package directions for storing an item
- Store newly purchased food behind older food
- Write the purchase dates on items with no sell-by or use-by dates.
- Use canned food within a year.
- Clean storage areas regularly. Wipe up spills, and wash and dry surfaces throughly.
Room Temperature Storage
Avoid storing food in areas containing household cleaners or chemicals. The risk of contamination is too great. Also, keep household cleaners in their oringnal packaging , never in empty food containers or other food containers, you could mix up a cleaner with a food item very easily if they look similar.
After opening shelf-stable foods, the storage requirements change. Some foods, like canned foods, must be refrigerated. Others like dry beans, or a box of cereal, can remain and room temperature. Try to reseal the opened package to keep out dirt and potentially insects, otherwise put the food in a tight seal storage container. Do the same with bulk foods.