The villa was once home to Katina, the first female dentist on the island who bought the plot in 1973. The house was built a few years later, becoming the third house ever built in Agios Ioannis. Back then, many Mykonian roads had no names and so the official address of the property became Dentist Katina’s Villa. It was also the first house in the area with electricity and a swimming pool, bringing power and pool parties to the neighbourhood. Many of the local hoteliers grew up swimming at Katina’s and fondly remember the pool parties of her grandchildren. The house continues to be a cherished summer home for the family, already enjoyed by four generations. In the 1980s and 90s, Katina rented out parts of her villa to prominent people and celebrities, returning every summer. It was even featured in the first ever Lonely Planet for Mykonos, described as a cosy place with a superb garden. Katina’s heritage is also of note. She is a direct descendant of Manto Mavrogenous, an important historical figure and one of the key leaders of the rebellion against the Turkish occupation in 1821. Katina was also the the rebellion against the Turkish occupation in 1821. Katina was also the daughter of a saboteur and spy for the Greek resistance during the Second World War German occupation.
Fun Trivia: Petros the Pelican, the mascot of the island, is named after her father, Petros Drakopoulos.