BACKGROUND: Before the organization was formally initiated, the hotel Bomani Beach owned by Solfrid did a lot of relief work that has also been supported by hotel guests. However, there was a need to separate relief efforts from hotel operations, not least because of the requirements for such an organization andthe official registration in the Norwegian Register of Voluntary Organisations
Sharing for Life now wants to make an effort to implement this renovation, but it also follows several tasks with this project as the infrastructure is not yet suitable for such a project. We have held meetings with the school principal and the school board who has been coming with their priority wishes
We've got a local resource - Mr.Kamotta to act as project coordinator in addition to beeing a building technical and financial advisor for the project. He has extensive experience as a principal at a fisheries school a few kilometers further north. He came in as principal after the school originally built by Norad had lain down with considerable problems for a few years. His work to bring the school into the current state witnesses of great craftsmanship and, not least, a local knowledge of how such projects should be managed with a backdrop of laws, regulations and the local population's culture and values..
Here you can read about what Sharing for Life has done so far:
- Desks for all: In 2007, 90 students desks was purchased so noone had to sit on the sand floor - thanks to generous hotel guests.
- Cultural Exchange: A school class in Norway were pen pals with a class in the village. Pictures of children playing in the snow made sense and it was a mutual glimpse into an unknown world
- Initiated and continues to support preschool (5-6 year olds)
- Classroom for preschool were worn down and the kids sat right on the sand. Thanks to hotel guests with big heartthe room was renovated and furniture was purchased - and even got door and windows!
- Preschool - There is a desire that kids can go to preschool 1-2 years before they start the regular schooling. Parents must pay teacher salaries -it amounts to 2000 TZS month pr. child(about 1.2 dollars) For those who can not afford this, the organization pays half of the parents amount and the preschool teacher also receive a fixed amount in addition to the parental contribution. It is therefore important to have contribution donors who can help with set amounts.
- Sharing for Life has upgraded the teachers room with new furniture
- Headmasters office is renovated with funds from the Fund
- It's built a house for teachers which was almost completed by the village management. To finalize the building Sharing for life supplied the remaining funds.
- Women at Work - By helping women earn their own money to ensure that revenues are coming the families for good. Sharing for Life has given several women the opportunity to start income-generating work such as baking bread, agriculture, thrift store, perfumery and dressmaking.
We get experiences along the way and see that it is important to make good agreements securing the initiatives. An initiative was dissolved because a landlord demanded more rent when he realized that the women earned good money.
Therefore Sharing for Life now have started to enter as a tenant on behalf of those we are supporting with a written agreement that we have designed. We have also made an agreement with the women that equipment that we buy stay our property so that it is returned to the Sharing for Life organisation if the initiative for some reason ceases.
Sharing of life considering building a separate building with frames that can be used by our projects, but it has not yet priority.
The picture show a half-finished building with frames - Building is begun and when the available funds are used- the building work stops until more money appears..... Therefore, development and construction take up to several years.
Sharing for Life has a zero tolerance for corruption