Welcome Back Falcons!
We have begun our Winter 2019 term, and despite the many snow and cold days off, we are excited about our time ahead this term!
Computer Science Offerings
We are beginning to pilot computer science courses in both our College Prep and Early College. We are taking next steps in collaborating with Cisco as a Network Academy Partner to bring introductory computer science, programming, and cyber security courses to JPEC.
Our plan is to continue developing the program so that there is a pathway for interested students to seamlessly move into dual enrolled Jackson College computer science courses and work toward completing an associate degree. We are working closely with our college partner in mapping this program out, and we are incredibly excited about the development of this opportunity!
Social Emotional Learning Curriculum
- Our Development Coordinator continues to work closely with the leadership team spearheading the search for an age appropriate, relevant and engaging social emotional learning curriculum (SEL). Some of the ideas/discussions have revolved around software platforms with distinct lesson plans as well as implementing cohort level seminars. Our team has seen the increases in connections made by our students who have taken the Jackson College Seminar in Life Pathways (SEM 140), their introductory seminar. As we have sought to scaffold and support our students academics toward success in their chosen academic pathways, we see a need to also support them towards being students with a sense of belonging, purpose, an eye for leadership, understanding of integrity, and grit. Yet, we are doing so on a timeline that will allow for effective implementation into our curriculum.
- A next step in this process has lead us to take a closer look at Purpose Prep SEL curriculum and their integration with Edgenuity. This curriculum is based on Casel standards and provides multiple levels of learning. Additionally, with their Edgenuity integration the curriculum is competency designed and students are able to learn at an individualized pace.
Parent Engagement: Community Forums and the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC)
- We have had to reschedule our first Parent Advisory Committee (J-PAC) meeting a couple of times due to the weather. Please remember that we will be hosting our first J-PAC meeting this Wednesday, February 6th. If you are interested in a higher level of engagement with JPEC's staff and Board come on out and learn what the J-PAC is all about!
- Our next Community Forum will be held on February 13th. The opportunity to engage is not limited to parents but open to our students and faculty as well. We are seeking to build an inclusive and broad participation from our community.
Thank you very much to those that have already provided feedback through our stakeholder survey. We have received responses from approximately 35% of Falcon Families! We would love to hear from each of you. Please use the button below to access the survey.
Please remember that our survey will be available until February 17th. Falcon Families will be provided a summary report in March's Notes from the President.
- 2/4 - 2/12 | NWEA Mid-Year Map testing
- 2/18 | No School - President's Day Holiday
- 2/21 | Spring and Fall Dual Enrollment Info Night
- 3/11 | Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 3/11 - 3/15 | No School - Mid-Winter Break
- 3/18 - 3/22 | College Prep 1st Year - YMCA Camp Trip
- 3/27 - Winter Open House for New Families
- 4/1 - 4/5 | No School - Spring Break
- 4/9 | PSAT/SAT Testing
- 4/29 - 5/24 | MStep Testing Window
- 5/1 - 5/3 | Winter Term Finals
- 5/4 | Early College Prom
- 5/6 - 5/10 | No School - End of Term Break
- 5/8 | Winter Progress Reports Sent
- 5/13 | Spring/Summer Term Start
- 5/23 | 2018-2019 Commencement
- 5/24 & 5/27 | No School - Memorial Weekend Holiday