Entry #1- Level in Unreal
This week i started my work by carrying on setting up the level layout. I have now fully laid out the first half of the map, up until the first puzzle room. I have followed the level layout plan that i previously created and this allowed me to create the map pretty easily. I then got Callum to send me the wall textures that he has already finish so that i could import them into Unreal to see what they look like in our level. The majority of the textures looked really good within Unreal, however there was one that was slightly off. The problem was that there was a white line down the corner of one of the wall corner pieces. We quickly resolved this by Callum opening the texture and erasing the white border around the model. After this he sent it back to me and i was able to re-import the texture, which solved the problem. This was a very simple obstacle to overcome and took next to no time to fix.
Once i had imported all of the textures that Callum had sent be and they were all applied, i began to import some of the blank models that i have created to start to set up how i want the level to look. I have managed to furnish the first 3 rooms of the level and i have set it out how i want it to look. This has also been very useful for me as i can now see what models i could also create to put in these areas to make them look more realistic and get the look that i am trying to go for. I am going to write down a list of models i am planning to create so that i do not forget what i need to do. This will help me to see what i am missing to make the dungeon more realistic and help to get the look we want.
I have now set up the level fully within Unreal, which i have followed the level layout plan that i created. I have set up the two puzzle rooms ready to import the assets into to start to make it look more like a playable level. In addition to this i have created a new Blueprint for the trap tile for the final puzzle, which when the player stands on will simulate it falling. I am really happy as to how our project is coming along as i feel like we are currently making lots of progress and it is beginning to take shape. It is extremely rewarding as all of our hard work can be seen within the level and I hope that we can continue to portray this as we continue our work.
Entry #2- Blueprint work
Last week i planned to planned to watch a Youtube tutorial on how to create an inventory system to allow the player to pick up items to use. This week found a video on how to create a light that needs a key to turn it off. Firstly, i went back into 3DS Max and created a basic key model to use within the game, as i have not created one yet. With the key model created, i imported it into Unreal and i was ready to create the Blueprint. I followed the tutorial in full and create a blueprint that allowed me to turn off a light with a key. This Blueprint however is not very useful to us as there is no need for a key to turn off a light within our game, however i changed the Blueprint so that it was useful for us.
I changed the Blueprint to suit our level by removing the light and adding the door piece that i have created into the part that requires the key. I then changed it so that instead of turning the light on and off, it allows the player to open the door once they have picked up the key. I did this by copying a Blueprint i already had created, which allowed the player to press f to open a door, and merged it with the new Blueprint. The final part i changed was making the player press f when coming into contact with the key to pick it up, rather than just passing into the collision box and picking it up. I think this will make it harder for the player as they will actually have to look for they key in order to open the door.
This part was the most difficult as it took me a while to figure out how to change the Blueprint so that the player did not pick up the key just by coming into contact with the hit box. What i did was connect the press f node with the node that tracks if the player comes in contact with the collision box. At first, this would not work as the node leading off this did not allow the press f node to be attached. However i fixed to this problem by connecting the add inventory node to the collision overlap node. This means that when the player enters the collision box of the axe, it will allow them to pick it up.