Catapult Spark Page BY: Nate Batizy, Ishai Nunez, and Padee Cha

The Problem

We needed to design and make a working catapult. This catapult needed to be in within two feet in length, two feet in width, and one and a half feet tall. The catapult needed to be made completely from PVC pipe. We were launching plastic golf balls to a target between 15 feet and 25 feet away.

This is one of the catapults we looked at while we were designing and researching.

What background info did we have?

These are some of the designs that inspired us.

When we started this project we didn't really know anything. We've all had some kind of experience with catapults but never really researched much into them. Or really looked into which would be the best catapult out of all of them. When we researched we found many different catapults; Ranging from your classic pull back action catapult to your lever action, to a trebuchet. After researching we decided to make a lever action catapult.

SKills we had that helped us.

In our group we all had different set of skills. Someone in our group worked very well with computers which helped us design and research. Another group member was very athletic and had a very good background with catapults. The other group member an had engineering background, and knew how to cut, measure, and build.

OUr solution and design

Our original design was a simple lever action catapult. Someone would be on one side and slam down one side of the arm, sending the other side of the arm moving forward with a lot of force and power. This would then send the golf ball launching. We would measure and adjust force and angle we are lunching at.

OUr prototype

While building our prototype we discovered that the catapult wouldn't fully work out. The lever action would hit us and we are hitting the arm to send the ball lunching. We also discovered that we couldn't get a consistent distance.

This was during the prototype stage of the process. The materials we used was about fifteen feet of PVC pipe, six elbow connectors, two three way t connectors, two four way connectors, and one children's plastic cup.

What we changed

For our catapult all we really changed was the structure of the base, we also added a string so the we wouldn't get hit by the arm everything we launch it. We then added a for way at the base of the structure so we can put the rope/string though to pull to launch.

Math! \o/

This is our data from our last launch before our final Launch

OUr equation is y = 1(x-6.52) + 3.3

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.