- Is a type of chemical reaction in which two or more simple substances combine to form a more complex product
- Formation of binary compound: A + B = AB
Iron and oxygen react to make rust
-is a type of chemical reaction in which a single compound breaks down into two or more elements or new compounds.
- Binary compounds: AB = A + B
-is a type of chemical reaction where an element reacts with a compound and takes the place of another element in that compound.
- A metal can replace another metal if it is above it on the activity series. If its not then it cant react.
- Metal-Metal replacement: A + BC = AC + B
-Active metal replaces H from water: M + H2O = MOH + H2
- Active metal replaces H from acid: M + HX = MX + H2
- Halide-Halide replacement: D + BC = BD + C
- is a type of chemical reaction where two compounds react, and the positive ions and the negative ions of the two reactants switch places, forming two new compounds or products.
- AB + CD = AD + CB
-( known as burning ) is an exothermic reaction in which something reacts with oxygen.
- Hydrocarbon + oxygen = carbon dioxide + water
- All Nitrates, Acetates, Ammonium, and Group 1 (IA) salts. All Chlorides, Bromides, and Iodides, except Silver, Lead, and Mercury(I). All Flourides except Group 2 (IIA), Lead(II) and Iron(III). All Sulfates except Calcium, Strontium, Barium, Mercury, Lead(II), and Silver.
Insoluble (0.10 M or greater): All Carbonates and Phosphates except Grpup (IA) and Ammonium. All Hydroxides except Group (IA), Strontium, Barium, and Ammonium. All Sulfides except Group 1 (IA), 2 (IIA), and Ammonium. All Oxides except Group 1 (IA)