- Formed by combining 2 hyphens (--)
- No spaces are needed BEFORE or AFTER
- Indicate a break in sentence structure
- Indicate a break in thought
I love to read books--as long as they are mystery.
- Separate two clauses
English is my best class--it comes very easy to me--because I understand the subject.
- To show hesitation
Wh--wh--what? A puppy?
- Formed by three periods (...)
- Use a space BETWEEN the periods and BEFORE and AFTER the elipsis
- Indicate an excluded set of words from a sentence, a group of words from a longer quote, or part of a section from a longer section
So, they changed the law . . . I was trained day by day to become the next ruler . . .
- Shorten a sentence
Someday, if I could just get a puppy, I would . . .
- Add a slight pause
You want me to go . . . go in there?
- Add dramatic effect
A dark room, dimly lit lights . . .
- Add silence or pause
After all this time . . . I hadn't thought you would actually consider it.
- Add an unfinished thought
You remembered? I didn't even know that you . . .