Here are the Facts:
- The tornado occurred on March 18th, 1925.
- Estimated damage was $16.5 million. That would equal $1.4 billion in 2011.
- States affected include Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. Tornadoes were also reported in Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky.
- The path was 235 miles.
- Average width was 3,600 feet, however at times the width reached over 1 mile
- The tornado lasted 3 hours, 30 minutes.
- First touchdown was 3 miles NNW of Ellington, MO at 1:01 PM
- Dissipated 3 miles SW of Petersburg, IN at 4:30 PM
- Average speed was 62 MPH, with a record setting speed of 73 MPH at one point.
- 695 deaths and 2,027 injuries.
- 9 schools across the three states were destroyed. 69 students were killed.
A view of the damage in southwest Muphysboro, IL
The entire second story of the De Soto School was collapsed by the tornado. - From Stormstalker
Griffin, IN - From Stormstalker.
What is left of a home southwest of Griffin, IN. - From Stormstalker.
Nearly every home destroyed on the northwest side of West Frankfort, IL - From Stormstalker.
Aerial view of the western side of West Frankfort, IL. - From Stormstalker.
A view of the southwest side of Gorham, IL - From stormstalker.
A colorized image of Murhysboro, IL - From stormstalker.
The Logan School can be seen in the background. - From stormstalker.