Fixed Income Analyst, Titan Capital Management (June 2018 - Present)
As a credit analyst for Titan Capital Management, I am a part of the fixed income team. Our fund manages $1.5MM of the CSUF Philanthropic Foundation's endowment and is comprised of an equity division and fixed income division. My main responsibilities as an analyst are as follows:
• Develop credit research reports for potential bond funds or specific bonds to be acquired into the fund's portfolio.
• Collaborate with 8 other analysts within my team to develop investment strategies and manage the current portfolio holdings.
• Execute top-down analysis to determine suitable fixed income sector and industry weightings based on TCM's economic outlook.
• Utilize the Bloomberg Terminal for conducting in-depth research and analysis of fixed income securities, funds, company financial trends, economic indicators, and for valuation purposes.
• Ensure that prospective securities and decisions conducted by analysts within my team align with our client's risk tolerance and the Fund's investment policy statement.
• Generate risk-adjusted returns over the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate for our client to satisfy the Foundation's philanthropic and scholarship goals.
Director of Fixed Income, CSUF Student Managed Investment Fund (June 2018 - Present)
After being an analyst within the fixed income division, I have been promoted to the director of fixed income. I oversee the fund's bond portfolio and the credit analysts within my division. My core focus is to ensure that our portfolio is well-managed and provides our client with stable, risk-adjusted returns over the Bloomberg Barclay's U.S. Aggregate. Based off of our Fund's economic outlook, my team operates a top-down investment strategy.
• Aim to ensure that our team's analysts build upon their technical and soft skills while providing an interactive learning environment that harvest career growth after university.
• Assist with the creation of credit research among analysts within my team, while still conducting and presenting my own research reports.
• Developed a two-month fixed income analyst program in which I teach the analysts within my team the basics of bonds, strategies to research and write credit research reports, value fixed income securities, and utilize the Bloomberg Terminal for economic and fixed income research purposes.
• Oversee the fixed income team's investment strategy and ensure that our fund is in compliance with the Fund's guidelines.
Fixed Income Analyst, CSUF Student Managed Investment Fund (June 2017 - June 2018)
After being an equity analyst for SMIF, I transitioned into the fixed income team managing our fixed-income portfolio. Our fixed-income team invests strictly in bond funds, so our investment strategy is driven mainly by our fund's economic outlook. We conduct a top-down analysis from our economic outlook to determine what asset classes and individual funds present opportunity and will fit well into our portfolio.
• Analyzed fixed-income funds to be acquired into the SMIF portfolio, authored credit research reports, and presented my investment ideas to the Fund's management and other analysts.
• April 2018 - Collaborated with other analysts within my team and throughout the fund to present an extensive YTD performance report that was presented to the CFA Board of Orange County in a competition against 4 other universities to win more capital for our fund.
Equity Analyst, CSUF Student Managed Investment Fund (September 2016 - May 2017)
• Constructed in-depth equity buy reports on various companies to be acquired into the SMIF portfolio to generate risk-adjusted returns for our client. I also assisted in overseeing the current equity holdings in the portfolio to ensure that the positions still presented value and rebalanced the portfolio as necessary. My main function as an equity analyst was to create DCF models and research various equities to determine whether they presented growth, value, or neither.
• Managed the current equity holdings in the portfolio to ensure that the positions still presented value and rebalanced the portfolio as necessary.
• Created DCF models and equity research reports to determine whether potential equity securities presented growth, value, or neither and presented my findings to the Fund's management and other equity analysts within the Fund.
Investment Analyst Intern, Sperry Equities (September 2017 - Present)
• Provide analytical support to secure debt financing with a variety of lenders for acquisition and refinancing of properties
• Produce monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for lenders on 45 loans and a portfolio valued over $600 million
• Create sale and lease analysis summaries from CoStar to confirm lease assumptions and sale values as backup for loan requests
• Assisted underwriting of apartment, industrial parks, retail centers and office opportunities, with the majority being value-add
acquisitions structured with earn-out/holdback funds for rehab and repositioning of the asset
• Implementing Argus Enterprise training for valuation purposes and creating budgets for added value transactions
Financial Analyst Intern, LPL Financial (June 2017 - November 2017)
As a financial analyst at LPL Financial, I worked directly under the head financial advisor of my branch assisting him and learning about private wealth management. A few of my tasks are as follows:
• Developed a multitude of comparative analysis reports for risk monitoring and acquisition of new clients that was presented to the advisor’s private clients and used in decision making internally.
• Rebalanced portfolios of clients to target weights to ensure consistency of risk tolerance and risk-adjusted return.
• Researched various equity funds and bond funds that were embedded within variable annuity products to decipher which funds were poised to outperform their respective benchmarks and allowed my director to be able to make holistic investment decisions for the firm's clients.
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" - Albert Einstein