Loading

Mortgage Burning Celebration

5 Short Years After The Abolishment of Slavery

It was 1870, five short years after the abolishment of slavery as a way of life in the South. People of this small community, now known as Steele Hill, gathered in homes to hold prayer meetings. The gatherings grew and it was recognized that a larger place was needed. 6 men of the group were elected Trustees and their mission was to plan and procure a place to worship. The Trustees decided that it was time to purchase land and to build a church.

Faith Not Fear

It was probably 1877 when the Trustees approached the major White land owner, A.W. Heath regarding the purchase of a small piece of property. A.W. Heath agreed to sell a small parcel of land to the Trustees for sixty ($60.00). On February 10, 1880, a Conveyance of Real Estate was drawn up for a small parcel of land, just over four (4) acres, bound on the northeast side by Steele Creek Road and the northwest by property of A.P. Nivens. The real estate transaction was entered into between A.W. Heath and the Trustees - A.B. McKeena, Lewis Vinson, Wesley Heath, Eli Belk, Anderson Heath and Kit Stinson. James F. Steele, Trial Justice, executed the transaction. This land as specified in the terms of the sale was to be used exclusively "for the building of a church and for educational purposes."

Faith Not Fear

Steele Hill A.M.E. Zion Church appears to be named based on the location. The parcel of land was on a "hill" that overlooked "Steele Creek" Road. History records that the church had humble beginnings. Members cut and donated trees from their homesteads for lumber and they diligently placed their offerings in the collection basket.

Faith Not Fear

A brush arbor was the first recorded church dwelling. The first recorded church building was in 1885. A few years later, a school and an arbor was constructed. The arbor still stands today and was last renovated in 1989 after Hurricane Hugo. The church has been renovated on three occasions - 1950, 1960 and 1975.

Faith Not Fear

A new sanctuary was dedicated in July 1999. The 1999 mortgage was burned on Nov. 04, 2018.

The founding Trustees and members created a legacy and culture of faith of which the torch continues to be passed.

11.04.2018

Mortgage Burning Celebration

3:00 PM

Following our Morning Worship and Communion Service , members and friends gathered for a Fellowship Meal followed by the service at 3:00 PM

The Kindling of The Flame
Faith Not Fear

Steele Hill Media Ministry

Follow The Hill

Credits:

Sheila's Photos, Steele Hill Media Ministry

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.