What are the film requirements?
The Festival de Eanes would like to challenge students in K-12 to produce either a narrative or animation/stop-motion film. The theme for this year is SEL (Social Emotional Learning: empathy, compassion, kindness, etc.). Along with the theme, we will be requiring three items to be in your short film.
- The film must include the following prop: Fish
- The film must also include the following camera angles/shots: POV (point of view) and Extreme Closeup
- The line of dialogue that must be included in the film is: “Jeepers, how did you do that”
Students are encouraged to think of creative ways to incorporate the prop, shots, and dialogue into their films.
What are the rules?
If you are a K-12 student interested in entering a film into our film festival, see the full contest rules below.
How are the films judged?
Round 1: Campus Film Festival
The first round of competition is campus based, separated to three age levels: elementary, middle, and high school. Judges will choose the top video from each of the two categories: narrative or animation/stop-motion. Those 2 films will move on to the district contest.
Round 2: District Film Festival
The district contest will showcase all of the winning campus films. There could potentially be 18 films displayed during the district film festival, but only 6 will be receiving the award for best narrative or animation by age level.
Judges will critique and score the films based on the following rubric:
What are the prizes?
All eighteen finalists will receive a special screening of their film at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar.
- Grand Prize (1) - TBA
- 1st Place in category (6) - TBA
- December 7, 2017: Festival de Eanes Contest begins
- March 23, 2018: Deadline for Film Festival entries
- April 20, 2018: Eighteen district qualifiers are announced
- May 23: Screening of 18 qualifiers @ Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar
Ready to submit?
Last year we saw amazing films and very creative ways student implemented the theme “Learning on the go”, the line "gotta catch em all", and a historical monument. To check out all the qualifying films, visit the link below.
Grand Prize Winner: