• In 2013, Journalist Karl Taro Greenfield said “As I watch my daughter struggle through school days on too little sleep and feel almost guilty if she wants to watch an hour of television instead of advancing a few yards in the trench warfare of her homework routine, I have my doubts. When would she ever have time to, say, read a book for pleasure? Or write a story or paint a picture or play the guitar?”
• Issues & Controversies says that many opponents of homework think that requiring students to work for 10-12 hours a day causes students to be tired, discourages creativity, and leads to over stressed and anxious students.
Many say homework is essential for a healthy education of a student.
• Issues and controversies also says that supporters think that homework is essential in the learning process in students, and can help them understand the subject more.
However, many cases show that that is not the case.
• From a personal standpoint, as a student myself, homework is often done with one idea in mind, “Get it done, and quick”.
• Healthline also says that the “ten minute per grade” rule for homework is nationally the standard for schools, but students usually wind up with three times as much.
Beck, Christina. "Why One Massachusetts Elementary School Is Banning Homework." Christian Science Monitor, 6 Sept. 2016. SIRS Issues Researcher. Accessed 22 Mar. 2017.
Druker, Peter. "Untitled post." The Huffington Post, 16 Oct. 2016, www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/5-reasons-why-homework-is-bad-for-your-child_us_57f72b3ae4b0b665ad817c57. Accessed 29 Mar. 2017.
"Is Homework Beneficial to Students?" Issues and Controveries, 11 Mar. 2016. Issues and Controversies. Accessed 16 Mar. 2017.
"Is Too Much Homework Bad for Kids' Health?" Healthline, edited by Sandra Levy, 11 Aug. 2016, www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114#2. Accessed 28 Mar. 2017.
Llana, Sara Miller. "Does More Homework Make for a Smarter Kid? In Spain, Many Have Doubts." Christian Science Monitor, 21 Feb. 2017. SIRS Issues Researcher. Accessed 22 Mar. 2017.