- December 31, 1956 - Nuclear Engineering Program to Begin.
- June 1957 - Nuclear Engineering Laboratory to be constructed.
- June 1957 - NUCL Graduate Program for M.S. and Ph.D. commences.
- 1959 - Purdue University submits proposal to U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) to build a reactor.
- 1959 -Nuclear Engineering Advisory Committee formed.
- 1959 -Nuclear Engineering Committee of the Graduate School formed.
- January 19, 1969 - Philip N. Powers named as Department Head (1960-1973)
- January 19, 1969 - Founding DaySchool of Nuclear Engineering.
- April 1960 - Prof. Sesonske takes a sabbatical to Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory to write a book on Principles of Nuclear Reactor Engineering with Dr. Samuel Glasstone.
- August 7, 1961 - U.S. AEC issues the Construction Permit No. CPRR-64 to construct a pool-type nuclear reactor to operate at a thermal power of one-kilowatt on Purdue campus.
- June 1962 - Board of Trustees approves awarding M.S. degrees.
- September 21, 1962 - First entry in PUR-1 reactor operation log.
- October 1962 - Two M.S. in Nuclear Engineering degrees awarded to Wayne Alan Carbiener and James Harvey Seaton.
- October 3, 1962 - NUCL 501 class visits PUR-1(c/o Prof. Sesonske).
- October 9, 1962 - PUR-1 Dedication.
- October 31, 1962 - NUCL 520 class performed a demonstration run at 1000 W for 10 minutes (c/o Prof. Bergdolt).
- 1966 - Prof. Karl O. Ott accepts Nuclear Engineering faculty position from ANL, (1966-2000).
- August 24, 1970 - First mention of Prof. Clikeman in the PUR-1 logs.
- March 12, 1971 - Prof. Alexander Sesonske, Assistant Head of Nuclear Engineering.
- 1973 - Prof. Paul S. LykoudisNuclear Engineering Department Head.
- September 11, 1975 - Department becomes the School of Nuclear Engineering.
- September 11, 1975 - Granting B.S. degree in Nuclear Engineering approved.
- 1976 - Fast Breeder Blanket Facility (FBBF) in operation (under Lykoudis with Profs. Ott and Clikeman).
- 1978 - NE Graduate Student Alfed L. B. Ho wins American Nuclear Society (ANS) student design competition.
- 1980 - NE Undergraduates Patrick O’Leary, John Beach, Patricia Steinhauer receive honorable mention at ANS student design competition.
- 1983 - NE Undergraduate David M. Zumbrennen wins ANS student design competition.
- 1986 - Prof. Franklyn M. Clikeman, Acting Head of the School (1986 – 1990).
- 1990 - Prof. Victor H. Ransom, Head of the School.
- 1990 - PUMA project (under Profs. Ransom and Ishii).
- 1993 - Robert Long M.S. ‘59, Ph.D. ‘62Distinguished Engineer Award (DEA) Recipient.
- 1994 - NE Undergraduates Steven A. Hogsett, Michael E. O’Dea, and Norha Z. Plumey win ANS student design competition.
- 1997 - Hichull Kim, Ph.D. ‘67, DEA Recipient
- 1997 - NE Undergraduates Thomas Fieno, David G. Penn, Brian Steward, and Chris Van Wert win ANS student design competition.
- 1998 - Prof. Ardent L. Bement, Head of the School (1998 – 2001).
- 1998 - NE Undergraduates Michael Bartel, Robert Miller, and Benjamin Wilson win ANS student design competition.
- 1999 - Dr. Ishii, Walter H. Zinn Distinguished Professor
- 1999 - Lorry Wagner, M.S. ‘75, Ph.D. ‘81, DEA Recipient.
- 1999 - NE Undergraduates B. Horner, M. Riemer, S. Spillane, and D. Wenzel win ANS student design competition.
- NE Undergraduates Michael A. Csermak, Michael A. Jones, Joseph R. Fernandez, and Tomasz Koslowski win ANS student design competition.
- 2001 - Prof. Lefteri H. Tsoukalas, Head of the School (2001 – 2006).
- 2002 - Paul WatteletPh.D. ’67Distinguished Engineer Award Recipient.
- 2003 - NE Undergraduates J. Jenkins, S. Clarke, C. Cotton, and D. Mundy win ANS student design competition.
- 2007 - Prof. Vincent Brault from ABEActing Head of the School (2007 – 2009).
- 2009 - Prof. Ahmed HassaneinPaul L. Wattelet Chair Professor, Head of the School (2009 – 2015).
- 2014 - NE Undergraduates Jake Hader, Jeffrey W. Klimes, James Baker Marshall, Faisal Y. Odeh, Mateusz P. Polek, and Shane Patrick Rafferty win ANS student design competition.
2017 - Prof. Seungjin Kim, Capt. James F. McCarthy, Jr. and Cheryl E. McCarthy Named Headship established.
- 2017 - Terry Grimm, B.S. ‘87, Outstanding Nuclear Engineer (ONE) Award Recipient.
- 2017 - Robert Hill, B.S. ’84, M.S. ‘86, Ph.D. ‘87, ONE Award Recipient.
- 2017 - James McCarthy, B.S. ’79, ONE Award Recipient.
- 2018 - Paul Wattelet, Ph.D. ‘67, ONE Award Recipient.
- 2018 - NE Undergraduates Anna Biela, Chris Copeland, Antony Damico, Adam Darr, Robert Kile, and Corney Ohneck win ANS student design competition.
- 2019 - Timothy Hanley, B.S. ‘87, ONE Award Recipient.
- 2019 - Robert Webster, M.S. ‘86, Ph.D. ’88, ONE Award Recipient.
- 2019 - Terry Grimm, B.S. ‘87, DEA Recipient.
2019 - Dedication for PUR-1 becoming first reactor licensed with all-digital instrumentation and control system.