Virtual events & activities
9AM: Wake-Up Workout with Tailored Fitness. Visit Tailored Fitness' Facebook for a live workout class to start your day out!
11AM: Virtual Talent Show premieres live on City of Ridgefield's Facebook page. Ridgefield's Got Talent and we want you to see it!
1PM: Maypole Dance Video & First Saturday Anniversary Celebration. Tune in to a live premiere of a slideshow of 5 years of First Saturday festivities then look back on previous Maypole Dances. Enjoy your made-at-home Anniversary Cupcakes while you watch!
- Downtown Scavenger Hunt Map Challenge: Complete this challenge based on memory - if you need to fill in the blanks take a walk or drive through downtown while observing physical distancing.
- May Day Flower Crown: Make a flower crown following instructions from Ridgefield Floral!
- DIY Anniversary Cupcakes: Celebrate spring and First Saturdays with a sweet cupcake design. Pick one design or try them all!
How to make your crown:
- Gather the following materials: assorted Silk flowers and greens, glue, ribbon (optional), un-coated light-gauge floral wire (enough to go around your head twice), coated floral wire (enough to go around the head).
- Head to Ridgefield Floral's Facebook page for an instructional video. (Or follow the instructions below).
- Complete your crown and take a picture wearing it.
- Share your pictures with us on Facebook or Instagram with #VirtualFirstSaturday - we want to see your beautiful creations!
ANNIVERSARY CUPCAKE RECIPE
Each year, we celebrate the anniversary of First Saturday with cupcakes! This year, its up to you to bake and design your own cupcakes to celebrate spring!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and position a rack in the middle of the oven. Line one 12-cup standard muffin tin or two 24-cup mini-muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and foamy, about 2 minutes. While beating, gradually pour in the melted butter and then the vanilla.
- While mixing slowly, add half of the flour mixture. Then add all the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture; take care not to overmix the batter. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, rotating the tin about halfway through baking time, 18 to 20 minutes for standard cupcakes or 10 to 12 minutes for minis. Cool the cupcakes in the tin on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on the rack completely. Frost and decorate as desired.