Thank you for joining the online public scoping meeting for the Box Butte Creek Watershed Plan-Environmental Assessment (Watershed Plan-EA) and taking a moment to learn more about the project.
The purpose of this meeting is to:
- Introduce you to this project
- Present information regarding the study area
- Review the initial problems the project will address
- Identify general alternatives that are being considered
- Provide opportunities for you to ask questions and provide comments
Input you provide today will be reviewed by the Upper Niobrara White Natural Resources District (UNWNRD) and will be used to help identify potential solutions for addressing flooding and related flood damages, as well as groundwater declines.
How to Navigate the Meeting
Scroll down to view all project information. Note: many of the figures can be enlarged if you click on them. Once you have reviewed the online meeting, you will have the opportunity to submit your questions or comments.
We appreciate your participation and feedback!
UNWNRD has entered into an agreement with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to develop a Watershed Plan and Environmental Assessment (Watershed Plan-EA) for the Box Butte Creek Watershed. This project is funded through the Watershed and Flood Prevention Operations (WFPO) program administered by the NRCS.
The objective of this project is to develop a plan that will address flooding, flood-related damages, and groundwater declines in the study area.
Additional considerations and opportunities with this project include:
- Fish and wildlife habitat enhancements
- Stream stabilization
- Water quality improvements
- Erosion and sediment control
What types of alternatives are being considered?
Alternatives will be refined based on further study, public feedback, and additional exploration of problems and opportunities. The following alternatives have been identified for initial consideration.
Structural Measures Alternative
- Box Butte Creek on-channel reservoirs and recharge basins (small and/or large)
- Off-channel (tributaries to Box Butte Creek) storage
- Distributed storage basins throughout watershed
Non-Structural Measures Alternative
- Watershed best management practices (BMPs)
- Cover crop
- Stream buffers
The photos above/in the background depict examples of (moving clockwise from top right): recharge basin, detention basin, stream buffer.
Comments or Questions
Thank you for reviewing the online meeting information.
You can also provide comments through:
The NRD and NRCS welcome landowners to come forward with any information on potentially historic resources. If you have any additional information on potentially historic resources that you would like to share, please contact: