We've Got History
- 2 online teachers at each high school
- 2 courses offered through a vendor
- less than 10 students per high school
- 16 online teachers
- 74+ courses designed by Hilliard teachers
- 2,000+ students served each year
A Work in Progress
- No course is ever "finished"
- Teachers are always improving courses
- New web tools, instructional practices and assessment strategies are embedded
- Formal PD twice each month
- Informal PD and collaboration daily
- Learning about best practices from inside outside of the district
- Started as credit recovery
- Added electives & enrichment opportunities
- Focus on at-risk by creating Personal Success Network
- Growing HOLA's Full Time @ Home program
- Quality Matters (QM) is heavily embedded throughout the online program.
- Every course has been or will be reviewed using a QM-inspired, district-approved rubric.
- All online teachers complete a 5-week QM online professional development course.
Teaching is Different.
- Teachers know their students personally.
- Teachers travel throughout district to meet with students.
- Parent nights & late hours are offered.
- Welcome videos & presentations are shared.
- Communication is key.
Courses are Different.
- Engaging coursework
- Voice and choice
- High quality instructional materials
- Hands-on activities
- Relevant and authentic assessments
We're Always Improving.
Meeting the Needs of All Students
A Task Force created a list of tools that can be added to our current Online Course Rubric. Teachers are currently updating their courses to include accommodations to meet the needs of IEP/504 students, including more choice for content & assessment as well as audio (text to speech tools on iPad).
Meeting New Legal & Ethical Standards
Teachers are going back through their courses to make sure that everything aligns with Fair Use laws. As a result, courses are becoming richer and more interactive with the inclusion of Creative Commons tools and resources.
We are all a team.
As a team, we are so appreciative of the time, communication and support from:
- building counselors
- support staff
- central office