Engineering Go Kart Portfolio by: Alex Shaer

Our Onshape To-Do List

We assigned each other different parts of the go kart to make on OnShape.
Kelsey had the job of making the seat triangles that would snap right into my piece (the seat itself). She has everything drawn out and calculated. Thus, giving her the piece she needs in OnShape. (As Shown Above)
Aly's job was to make the base of the go kart. She has drawn out what the base would look like with the wheels, seat, axles, etc. (Left Picture) This is what Aly has done on OnShape to make her base. (Right Picture)
Malachi has the task of making our braking and acceleration mechanisms. The first four images depict Malachi's brainstorming and plan for his creations. The last four images show the measurements needed for the pedals. The image on the bottom left shows the measurement of the driver's feet to make a correctly sized pedal. The picture of shoes on the right side displays the angles of where the pedals will be placed. The two images on the bottom right exhibit the use of the caliper and the size of the axles and pedals.
Joey's duty was to make our steering mechanism. He wasn't the greatest drawer in the world, so he just made the correct OnShape version of our ideas. This piece will be at the front end of the car holding the wheels.
My job was to create the seat back. With visualizations and correct dimensions, I was able to make the appropriate OnShape design. This piece will snap together with Kelsey's seat triangles.
These are our VCarve files. We followed the guidelines to make the insides of the piece and inside/outside cut, and vise versa for the outside of each piece. We inserted all of the fillets and toolpaths necessary.
I cut out a large piece of wood to have the string connecting from the drill to the steering.
We took dimensions of the drill so we can make something to hold it on the go-kart. (Bottom Right Image) The remaining images show us drilling screws into our base for steering to hold the axle in place.
These pictures are of us making and calculating our gear ratios. The image on the right and bottom right are for where the gears are going to be placed.
These are the VCarve files and screenshots for the gears we made to drive our kart. We discovered that you can't have more than 32 teeth in the gears or it will end up like our failed attempt. (Top Right Image)

To-Do List for Rest of Kart

This is a To-Do List that Kelsey made to ensure we cover all of our tasks necessary this marking period for this project.


Here are some pictures of the current structure of the body. The first two pictures on the left and the one in the middle are images of our team putting in supports for our car so it can "support" my weight. (I am the driver) The other two images are of the back of the kart and how it is going along.


For our steering mechanism, we have a threaded rod going through custom wood holders to keep the wheels intact and having an axle for the front on the car. The second portrait shows the most important piece to the front of the car; the threaded bolt that holds the body, axle, and extra wood sheet together. We brought training wheels to help the stability of our 3-wheel car.


Up top, is an image of our braking design. Second and last pictures are wood axles to hold the wooden rods and the rest of our braking system together. Second row, second picture is a string connected to a spring to engage and disengage our drill so we can coast. Image #4 and #5 show a 3D printed piece links with a lathed timber to act as a clutch.

Motor Drive

The first two photographs are of Aly finding a hinge for the brake pedal shown in picture #2. The last four display our drill in place of our kart. This drill will be the motor drive of the project. The string will engage and disengage the drive with a simple pull.


From beginning to end, this our progress so far with the Arduino. The list of images starts with: supplies, then circuits, circuits, and more, circuits. The last three images are of the code we used to make our Arduino work.

Testing Day 1

Our first day of testing was a modest success. The first picture is of me on the working kart and testing its capabilities. The second image of the distance our go-kart went on our best ghost-ride. With weight on the gas pedal, we tested to see how far it would go by itself. Our kart went a solid 105 feet. The last image is our notesheet to take data from our experiments.
The second day of testing was a little bit different but with little bit less success. The only difference from Day 1 and Day 2 was that Aly was driving. The less success was our braking test.

Overall, this was a great project that took us a lot of time, effort, and mentality to accomplish. I'd like to thank Mr. Estock for assigning this amazing project and my teammates, Aly Fox, Kelsey McRae, Joseph Filano, and Malachi Parks for contributing to our awesome construction.

Created By
Alex Shaer

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.