The Testable Question
How does sugar and salt affect an egg’s ability to float?
We all think that salt water will make the egg float the highest because in the dead sea a human can float easily and the dead sea is filled with salt water.
- 2.Sugar water
- 3.Salt water
- 4.Tap water
- 5. Sugar and salt water
- 6.Measuring cup
- 7.A ruler
- 1.We will have a measuring cup filled with water mixed with either sugar or salt.
- 2. Fill the measuring cup with the needed substance into it.
- 3.We will add the egg to the water with the added substance.
- 4. Measure the distance between the bottom of the measuring cup and the egg centimeters.
- 5. Write the important information down on a piece of paper.
- 6. Rinse the measuring cup with water for the next substance.
- 7. Repeat the steps with the different materials
Variables and Constants
- Variable-How high the egg floats(cm)
- Constant-Same amount of water
- Constant-Same amount of salt and sugar
In Salt Water:
- 1/4 cup of salt, floated 0 cm.
- 2/4 cup of salt, floated 2 1/2 cm.
- 3/4 cup of salt, floated 3 1/2 cm.
IN sugar water
- 1/4 cup of sugar, floated 0 cm.
- 2/4 cup of sugar, floated 0 cm.
- 3/4 cup of sugar, floated 2 1/2 cm.
Pictures and videos
In our hypothesis, we said that salt water would make the egg float the highest. We were correct, in salt water (3 1/2 cm), the egg floated one inch higher than in the sugar water (2 1/2 cm).