Adobe Education Leader Emeritus, Google as an Education Program Manager and passionate creative
How do you make a movie so that people want to watch it?
Chris' slide deck from tonight:
Telling a story in filmmaking.
Chris spoke passionately about how narrative principles can be used to take a project from concept to reality.
Students unattended may just film something that is happening, just like the Lumiere Bros.
However, with some guidance, students can be inspired to consider not just what they want to film, but how to tell the viewer a story through progression, movement, focus and framing.
The kinds of shots you select can evoke a time, a place or a mood more effectively than a text statement.
An establishing shot can even be filmed in one location, but be evocative of another place or time. A long shot will action to suggest to the viewer relationships between the location and the main character.
The medium shot creates empathy with the character, where as a close up creates intimacy (intimacy can also be creepy - see the top two shots as great examples)!
Quick Tips for filming:
- Film in LANDSCAPE, not portrait if you are using a camera on a phone
- Allow extra footage before and after the film you want to use.
- Keep your transitions simple - straight cuts or wipes are best and are a clean transition to connect your shots.
Director of Rare Innovation in New Zealand
Passion for a focus on the real-world learning environment for students
Paul covered important considerations such as:
PHASE A - LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
- Diagnose Current State
- Find or Locate a Starting Point
- Establish real-world projects and end-end learning journeys
- Establish content platforms
- Automate platform and file workflow to establish immediate work management & responsive feedback; prepare for COVID Lockdown 5.0
Digital Mastery Unboxed | https://www.linkedin.com/posts/paul-mcclean-2ba05246_education-unboxed-activity-6702103079690604545-HwBm
Digital Mastery Unboxed | What is in the Unboxed Series Box?
- Digital Mastery Overview
- Creative Learner Profile
- Re-thinking Learner Experience
- Orchestrating Learner Vision
- 1:1 Multi-Project learning design
- Transforming learners to transform Community
Digital Mastery & Leadership Article | https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-does-education-leadership-digital-mastery-beyond-paul-mcclean/
Digital Mastery Interview | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMZlA8oHzM
Digital Mastery Video | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QE9B4adEaA
Achievement Strategy | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUpZ3VkORU
Improving Engaged State | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AkIRB49Few
Digital 2020 in traditional school | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD9NvVVtbkA
Measuring 1:1 creative learner strategy, teacher effectiveness and achievement | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8igWPCdylP8
An education snapshot | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnndS-jDZnk
Paul McClean | https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-mcclean-2ba05246/