So I want to encourage you to take advantage of this time to boost community and healing in your own body & mind as well as in your spiritual community. We live in such a fragmented society, fragmented socially, but also disconnected from yourself. Reconnect. Heal. Spend time in your own minds. Learn to love yourself better. If we all do that, how much better neighbors will we be on the other side of this time of uncertainty?
In these times when we are tempted to fear, may we remember that the same God who created this world also sustains it, and He will see us through.
For the last five years, I have believed that it is my job to act as a resource coordinator to the Youth and Young Adult Pastors I serve in this Conference. Since the methods and location of our work has changed lately, I thought I would share a few useful resources with you in the hopes that it can help you in your efforts to serve the youth and young adults in your care. I would strongly encourage you to visit www.ks-ne.org/youth frequently as I continue to upload useful links or resources to help in your ministry. If there is anything I can do to help your ministry in a socially distant context please let me know. If have a unique need or request that you want help tracking down something to fit that need, I am here for you! I am also a firm believer in collaborative ministry, so if you come across something you think might benefit other pastors like yourself, please send it my way so I can upload it to the website resource page.
Thank you for all you do, you are ever and always in my prayers
- Doing Youth Ministry During A Pandemic - For youth leaders to help understanding how to navigate spiritual conversations in the middle of this illness.
- Faith in an Anxious World - Fuller Youth Institute has put together some fantastic resources for navigating the anxiety and uncertainty that is the teenager in 2020.
- For Laughs - Who doesn't like a VegieTale's remix?
- For those still looking for that Path - CYE's Youtube channel offers The David and Daniel Bible stories, full evening programs from the 2019 and 2014 International Camporees. Subtitles in English and Spanish are available. After watching the 2014 Forever Faithful programs, be sure to watch our documentary length film 'The Making of Daniel'. There's also a bloopers video.
- Can I Ask That pt 1 & Can I Ask That pt 2 - Teenagers are tired of vague or nonexistent answers to their tough questions about God, the Bible, and Christianity. Just when they're capable of diving into the deep end of their faith, all too often the church keeps them splashing around in shallow waters. As eight years of Sticky Faith research on teenagers has shown, it's not doubt or hard questions that are toxic to faith. It's silence. This two part discussion series might be hard to get your hands on if Amazon isn't delivering right now, but I have a set that has been loaned out to a pastor receiving this... Maybe they will be gracious enough to have it sent back to me so I can make it available to the rest of you. If you happen to be able to get a copy or a digital copy, it is LOADED with conversations you can have in a virtual format on your favorite social media venue.
- Five Steps to Lead Students Wisely During the Coronavirus Pandemic - So how do we lead our kids well during such times? Tim Elmore offers some ideas.
- 14 Things To Do With Teens If You're Quarantined For COVID-19 - Tips to share with parents!
- Teen Slang | 2020 Glossary - To help you keep up when talking to them
- Online or group text discussion starter - Watch Circles by Post Malone, have them text in answers to questions like - why has this song been in the top 5 song lists five weeks running? What message is he conveying that people connect with? What does the bible say about that message? What do you agree with and what do you disagree with? Why? Etc. Do something like this with anything from top songs to top Netflix or top Youtube views (if clean) and engage with the things they're already consuming. But find ways to put spiritual themes to those conversations.