The Education Comittee is working on updating our current Sun Smart policy. We have a Sun Smart station in all classrooms where students are asked to place their own labeled sunscreen and apply before going out for lunch time. We ask for all families to ensure that they have placed sunscreen on their child/ren before the go to school. Students can apply sunscreen during soft start if they have forgotten.
We are currently in the process of applying for a Shade grant through ‘Shade Grants Program’, hoping to get some funds to go towards shade that has been lost from the building. We have factored in more shade areas within the playground design.
2020 Classes - Parent Input
This time of year, we often get questions about how class lists for the next school year are developed. After we have a rough idea of how many enrollments we have we can begin to work out how many classes we can afford. Once this has been completed, we can begin working on developing class lists for the following year. This is a lengthy process as many factors need to be considered. We construct classes based upon a composition that includes:
- Students with special learning styles and needs
- High achieving students
- Balanced male/female ratios
- Known interpersonal relationships that will maintain a positive class climate
- Teacher recommendation
- Parent concerns
Parent Requests: Parent requests are one of the considerations that we consider during this process. It is important to note that parent requests are only considered based upon the student’s positive or negative influence they may have when being placed within a classroom. It is important to note that we do not place students into classes based on choice. We would like to ask that all requests be sent to the principal via email by Friday, 25th October. This is an important deadline as emails received after that date will be too late to be considered.
Student Friendship Groups: When creating class lists we ensure that every student has at least one friend in their future class based on their friendship list. As we have to consider many factors when creating class lists, it is not always possible to have all/most of your child's friends on their list. All students will be writing down a list of 5 friends that they would like to work with. This list is written individually and is kept confidentially for the teacher (to protect students
Class Composition Process: The following is how we compose class lists for the following year.
- Newsletter: Parents are notified in the newsletter to write an email to the principal if they want to give input regarding their child’s placement. Parents requests are only considered based upon the student’s positive or negative influene they may have in the classroom. We request that you don’t request a teacher.
- Closing Date: All emails must be received by Friday 25th October in order to be considered. This is an important deadline as emails received after that date will be too late as it interferes with the placement process.
- Class Placement: After the closing date for parent input, the principal will direct the teaching staff to prepare class lists for 2020 based on the criteria listed above including both teacher and parent input.
- Draft Classlists: The draft list is provided to the principal where it is directed to our Welfare team. This is then reviewed by the principal who will meet with each grade level team to discuss the classlists based upon the criteria.
- Parents are informed: Parents are informed of their child’s class placements prior to the end of the school year.
If you would like input into your child’s class, please send your request to the school’s email address (firstname.lastname@example.org), with the subject: 2020 Parent Input. If you have made a request in the past and you feel that you would like that request to be continued in 2020, please send an email again as we start a fresh new list every year.
The roof has been going up over the last couple of days which has started to shape the building. There has been a few walls taken out of the gym which has opened it up with the outlook looking great. Everything is on schedule. Bring on the great weather for a speedy delivery of our new building.