From the Principal
Our school year is continuing to be a great one so far. I am incredibly proud of our students and staff and how well we adapt to change in our building. As you know, we did have an evacuation event and we could not be prouder than how well our students behaved. Their composure and positive behavior were a sure sign that we are moving in the right direction here at Douglass.
We want to remind students and parents that we are still maintaining Covid protocols. This includes wearing our masks at all times over our mouths and noses.
Please send in updated immunizations and Covid vaccine cards to our nurse, Kristen Parsons. Her email is email@example.com
Please don't forget that we have Fall Break this week. There will be no school on Thursday (10/7) or Friday (10/8).
Please consider joining one of our SBDM Sub Committees via zoom. These committees meet on the first Tuesday of the month from 3:30-4:30pm.
SBDM Sub-Committee Zoom Links
Supports school provided professional development for teachers
The Wellness Committee at FDHS oversees the overall wellness, health sustainability, and nutrition of students and employees.
Creates and manages the school budget
Consults on instructional decisions for the building
The CSIP Committee will oversee the school improvement plan.
Media Center / Library
Opportunity Middle College
Opportunity Middle College (OMC) is collaboration between Fayette County and Bluegrass Community and Technical College (BCTC). Our OMC student body consists of juniors and seniors from each of the 6 public high schools in Fayette County. We are housed at BCTC’s Cooper Campus. Our goal is to provide access and supports to our students to allow them the opportunity to take college class while they are still in high school. Although, all 6 high schools offer dual credit courses, our program is unique in that we provide the integration of high school and college courses in the college setting. Application: https://sites.google.com/fayette.kyschools.us/omcapplicationprocess/home?authuser=0
Governor's Scholar Program
If your student is a junior and is interested in learning more about the Governor’s Scholars Program (GSP), please have them register for the informational meeting that will take place on Tuesday, October 5th, during advisory. Students must register in advance to be able to attend. Registration Link: https://bit.ly/ccreventbrite
AP Registration & Testing
- If your student is interested in getting an internship or work-based learning opportunity, see Dr. Muncy in Room A102f or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Frederick Douglass Academy of Health Sciences looks forward to welcoming Transylvania University to our campus on October 6 for the announcement of an exciting partnership with our BioMedical students.
Thank you to Chick fil A for bringing chicken minis to our Chick fil A Leadership Academy kick-off! The FDHS Ambassadors will be participating in this exciting leadership opportunity this school year.
Shop from Our School Store!
Get involved with one or more of our many clubs and extracurricular activities!
If your student pre-ordered a Homecoming tshirt and he/she hasn’t paid for it, they need to do so before Fall Break. Stop by room B215 during Advisory! Short sleeve shirts are $10 and Long sleeve shirts are $15… If they don’t pay by then, their shirt order will be cancelled.
Homecoming Festivities Oct 11-15
Dress Up Each Day!
- 'Merica Monday (how much Red, White and Blue can you wear?)
- Team Tuesday (sport your favorite Team)
- Western Wednesday (wear your best Western wear)
- Throwback Thursday (choose your favorite decade)
- Freddy D Friday (Douglass gear)
- Monday to Friday: Penny Wars between the Academies - silver change and dollar bills will cancel pennies that are donated- Winner will receive a banner to proudly display in their Academy for the year!
- Tuesday: Nobody Sits Alone- students on Student Council and Ambassadors will take initiative that no students sit alone during lunch
- Wednesday: Canned Food Drive
- Thursday: Random Acts of Kindness
- Friday: Blood Drive: 8:30-2:30; students must sign up in advance. bit.ly/BloodDriveWaitList ; must be 16 years or older and weigh 110 pounds to donate. If 16, they must complete a parent permission slip prior to donating. Those can be picked up in B215 from Ms. Bersaglia.
Homecoming Dance Oct. 16 8pm-11pm outside at the Paddock down at the stadium
Tickets are $12 each. To purchase a ticket, students must have an 80% or higher eOS score. Tickets will be on sale during lunches, October 12th-15th- CASH ONLY. Juniors & Seniors may bring a guest from another school, but they must not exceed 20 years of age and they must complete a Guest Form, as well as provide a copy of their photo id before they can purchase a ticket for the guest. They must purchase the guest ticket at the time they purchase their own ticket. The Guest Form can be picked up in B215 or the front office. Masks/Face Coverings will be optional, but Masquerade masks are encouraged. We will have a limited number available for purchase that will be solid white and students can decorate however they prefer.
Speech & Debate / North Star Thespians Fundraisers
Please come out and support our Broncos!
Homecoming Football Game 10/15/2021
Game Attendance Guidelines
- No middle school students will be allowed to enter without being accompanied by an adult 21 years of age and over.
- No outside food / drink.
- No backpacks. Small hand bags no bigger than 6x6x4 are allowed (think a small clutch or hand-purse/wallet).
- You must be seated and in the stands.
- Only congregating in the paddock (while maintaining social distance to the best of your ability) will be allowed at halftime
- If you are not eating you are encouraged to return to seat.
- At the conclusion of halftime, the paddock will be cleared and all will return to seats.
- Non-compliance will result in removal from the facility.
- Oct 5: Bryan Station (Home) - F/JV/V 5:30/6:30/7:30
- Oct 9: Kentucky Showcase (at Dunbar)- V TBD
- Oct 12: Sayre (Away)- F/JV/V 5:30/6:30/7:30
- Oct 13: Wolfe County (Home - Senior Night)- F/JV/V 5:30/6:30/7:30