Mark Your Calendar
Monday, Sept. 18th - Day 2
- High School Soccer 4:00pm @ Springfield Township
Tuesday, Sept. 19th - Day 3
- 150 Building: Grades 2-4 Art Club 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ 150 Art Room, 827
- 150 Building: Grades K & 1 Art Club 3:45pm - 4:45pm @ 150 Art Room, 908
- High School Soccer vs. Phelps 3:45pm @ United Sports
- Middle School Soccer 3:45pm @ United Sports
- 468/486 Building: Grades K & 1 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 468 Art Room, Rm. 425
- High School Cross Country TCISL League Meet 4:00pm @ Perkiomen School
- NEHS Student Meeting 4:00pm - 5:30pm @ Room 118
Wednesday, Sept. 20th - Day 4
- Middle School Cross Country 3:30pm @ 1580 Charlestown Rd, Phoenixville
- Middle School Girls' Volleyball 3:45pm @ 500 Bld Gym
- 468/486 Building: Grades 2-4 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 486 Art Room, 532
- High School Volleyball vs. Marple Newtown 5:00pm @ 535 Gym
- Science Fair Committee Meeting 5:00pm - 6:00pm @ 435 Conference Room
- Board of Trustees Public Meeting 6:00pm @ 435 Conference Room
Thursday, Sept. 21st - Day 5
- High School Soccer vs. Perkiomen 3:15pm @ United Sports
- High School Cross Country 3:45pm @ Kimberton Waldorf School
- 500 Building: Grades 5 & 6 Art Club 4:00pm - 5:00pm @ 500 Building Room 228
- Board of Trustees Public Work Session 6:00pm - 7:00pm @ 435 Conference Room
- Board of Trustees Regular Public Meeting 7:00pm @ 435 Conference Room
Friday, Sept. 22nd - Day 6
- 468/486 Building: 4th Grade Zoo Field Trip @ Philadelphia Zoo
- High School Volleyball vs. Oxford 5:00pm @ 535 Gym
Saturday, Sept. 23rd
- 500 Building: Hispanic Heritage Festival for all CCS Families 10:00am - 2:00pm @ 500 Cafeteria and Field
- High School Volleyball vs. Boyertown 12:00pm @ 535 Gym
Each week, Amanda Lake - our Director of Educational Services - highlights common terms and philosophies in education, and explains how they impact teaching and learning at Collegium.
Pennsylvania’s academic standards for students are called the Pennsylvania Core Standards. We usually just call them the PA Core Standards and they are essentially a list of specific skills and information that students should know.
The standards are separated by subject and grade level, with expectations for mastery building from one grade level to the next. For example, there are a number of English Language Arts standards related to "reading informational text" (standard 1.2). For kindergarten students that standard reads, “With prompting and support, identify the main idea and retell key details of text.” The fifth-grade standard says, “Determine two or more main ideas in a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.” And the grades 11-12 standard reads, “Determine and analyze the relationship between two or more central ideas of a text, including the development and interaction of the central ideas; provide an objective summary of the text.”
Everyone agrees schools should teach students to read. But the level of mastery that is required at each grade level is where we sometimes have differences of opinion. The standards ensure that we all know what the specific educational goals are for each grade and subject, and provide a framework for teachers to use when planning their lessons. The options are endless for fun and exciting ways of helping students to learn to read informational text, and teachers at CCS have the freedom to plan lessons that are differentiated to their students' needs and interests.
If you are curious about the rest of the PA Core Standards in English Language Arts and Math, you can find them all by accessing the link below.
PSAT Preparation Information
The PSATs will be administered during the school day on Wednesday, October 11th. All students in 10th grade will be testing. Pre-registered 9th and 11th grade students will also be testing.
Students, please try your best to get a good night’s sleep and be on time for school. Remember to bring #2 pencils and a calculator with you on test day. No mechanical pencils, please. You will receive your testing room assignments the day of the test. Test prep materials will be distributed to students on Monday, September 18th during the High School stretch period and can also be found on the College Board website.
If you have any questions about this schedule, please email our High School Counselors, Mrs. Wolfe or Ms. Tracey.
Hispanic Heritage Festival for All CCS Families
The Diversity Committee at our 500 Building, along with the 500 Building's Spanish Department, is hosting our 1st Annual Hispanic Heritage Festival to honor National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15th through October 15th).
Our event is scheduled for Saturday, September 23rd, from 10:00am until 2:00pm at the 500 Building Field. If the weather does not cooperate, we'll move the festivities into the 500 Building Gym.
The Festival is open to all CCS families and members of the community, so please invite your friends and neighbors. There will be vendors, food trucks, live performances, community resource tables, and more! The event is free; however, families are responsible for any purchase from the vendors and food trucks.
If you have questions or if you need additional information, please email Mrs. Tobin. We hope to see you there!
Science Fair Committee Members Needed
Calling all parents/guardians and CCS faculty/staff! We are in need of members for our Science Fair Committee.
The committee includes parents and CCS staff, and our meetings take place at 5:00pm in the Conference Room of the 435 Building. We meet approximately every 3 weeks (schedule below) to discuss ideas and plan this year's Science Fair events. Even though we have two separate events - a 1st-12th grade Science Fair in mid-January and a Kindergarten Science Fair a few weeks later - we all meet and work together as one group.
For questions and additional information, please email Mrs. Tobin. We hope to see you at our first meeting!
Science Fair Committee Meetings
- Wed. Sept. 20th - Meeting in 435 at 5:00pm
- Wed. Oct. 18th - Meeting in 435 at 5:00pm
- Wed. Nov. 1st - Open House for CCS Students and Families from 6:00-7:00pm
- Wed. Nov. 15th - Meeting in 435 at 5:00pm
- Wed. Dec. 13th - Meeting in 435 at 5:00pm
- Wed. Jan. 3rd - Meeting in 435 at 5:00pm
- Wed. Jan. 17th - 1st-12th Grade Science Fair, 4:30-8:30pm
- Wed. Jan. 31st - Kindergarten Science Fair - 4:30-6:00pm
Our School Stores are stocked and ready for shoppers starting this Wednesday, September 20th, but we just need one more thing. Our School Stores need you to be open.
To volunteer at one of our School Stores, please access the sign up form below. Clearances are required and more specific information is available on the Volunteering page of the Collegium website.