Happy New Year HILL HUSKIES!
Thank you for all the holiday cards, gifts, and goodies. I hope you had a wonderful winter break with your family and friends! Welcome back! I look forward to an awesome 2020!
Countdown Winter Break Spirit Week 2019
Set Some Family Goals from the New Calendar Year
The new calendar year offers the opportunity to think about the past and set goals for the future. This should include family reading goals! Take time with your child to:
- Review favorite books or stories from the past year. If the books are nearby, look through them together. Have your child choose his three favorites. Ask, “What was the best part of this story? Why?” Or, “What is your favorite picture in this book?”
- Discuss future reading plans. How much time are family members spending on reading for pleasure? Are there ways you and your child can improve your reading habits? Together, write any ideas or goals you may have. Post them in a place where you will see them often.
- Plan to read new things. In addition to books, suggest your child read magazines, newspapers, cookbooks, catalogs—anything and everything he can get his hands on!
Reprinted with permission from the January 2020 issue of Parents make the difference!® (Elementary School Edition) newsletter. Copyright © 2020 The Parent Institute®, a division of PaperClip Media, Inc.
Troy School District Literacy Project
As part of our Troy School District Literacy Project, we have a learning partnership with the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project out of Columbia University. Over the years, in work with families and literacy, many parents have asked how they can support students and families at home. Staff developers from Teacher's College have created a series of short videos to hopefully provide some answers. Click one of the links below to explore the libraries of available videos.
MLK Jr. Day or Service
Dear ONE Troy,
We are a little more than a week away from our citywide MLK Day of Service and we need YOUR help to make this phenomenal event a success! Donations for care packages for our troops are down this year--and we are also in great need of more fleece to make blankets for patients in local hospitals. There are donation boxes in every school as well as Central Administration Building. Please consider bringing in any of the following items for our care packages:
- Socks (crew sized, White or Black)
- Foot powder
- Beef Jerky
- Sunflower seeds/nuts
- Wet wipes
- Energy bars/granola bars
- Small Michigan/Detroit based sports stuff (nerf balls, pennants, t-shirts, bandanas, etc.)
WE ALSO NEED FLEECE for our blankets! Joann's has a 60% coupon for fleece through Saturday. We need fleece in increments of 2.5 yards so that each piece matches up with another piece and none goes to waste. But new this year--Joann's also has their "fleece blanket kits" on sale for $9.99 (reg. $24.99) and since those include two pieces, we can use them to make smaller blankets for child patients.