Doris Bergen's House Burning Analogy
- Antisemitism - hostility to or prejudice against Jews. Antisemitism brought about the discrimination against the Jews, installing the idea into German citizens heads that they are inferior to Germans.
- Eugenics - a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of the human population. The foundation of eugenics pressed the idea on German society in the 1930s and 40s that the "Aryan" race (Hitler's "master race") trumped over any race who did not meet the qualifications of this race. Additionally, the government justified this way of thinking which persuaded Jewish hate.
- The Spark - Hitler and the Nazis were considered to be the "spark" of the Holocaust because they forced proganda by "shoving down their (German citizens) throats" ideology that refuted Jewish life. "Kristallnacht," for example, was a Jewish hate event that was enacted in order to instill fear into Jewish minds, which also allowed German citizens to recognize how inferior Jews were to Germans.
- Favorable Weather - World War II, itself, allowed Nazis to act "behind the scenes" in order to conduct the Holocaust. WWII distracted Allied forces from the Holocaust and allowed Hitler to murder over six million "inferior races."
USHMM - The Holocaust was the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators.
- State Sponsored - the way a state advertises an event or occurrence. Some pieces of evidence of state sponsored activity through Germany during this time period consists of "Kristallnacht," when Hitler established the foundation of the "Aryan" race (eugenics), and the establishment of ghettos in Nazi Germany.
- Systematic Persecution - the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group. Some pieces of evidence of mistreatment to European Jews were placement into ghettos, the gassing of Jews, and the ransacking of Jewish homes.
- Systematic Annihilation - the act of process of annihilation in a fixed, constructed way. Evidence of this would be mass graves, gas chamber, and camps designed to kill Jews.
Collaborator - The Blue Police
We know Jews were the primary victims because of the number of Jews annihilated through the whole process. The Nazis targeted the Jews due to personal issues with Hitler against them.