WHO AM I
My name is Kali (Kalina) Broda. I am a fourth year marketing student at the University of Alberta, but I am hoping that is not the only title that defines who I am. I am also a dog owner/fanatic, budgeted traveller, music connoisseur, and meme expert. Upon graduation (April 2017), I am looking for a full time job in Edmonton, Alberta.
I am currently completing the last five courses of my undergraduate degree in the Bachelor of Commerce program at the University of Alberta. While I am majoring in marketing, I am also completing the newly created Real Estate certificate offered, fuelling my passion for the diverse industry of commercial real estate. In addition to already spending half of my days at school, I decided that wasn't quite enough. As a proud U of A Pandas Soccer team alumni, I learned to juggle carrying a backpack with textbooks, soccer bag with stinky cleats and shin pads, and a giant lunch for a usually tired and emotional student-athlete. Finally, as my last year crept up on me quite quickly, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and join a student club. As the VP of Marketing & Communications for the The University of Alberta Real Estate Committee, I have had the opportunity to connect students to real estate networking events and learn more about the industry as a whole.
Experience... It's funny (not that funny), because that's what I am trying to gain. However, most entry level positions already require some experience. Fortunately, I have had a few jobs that have somewhat prepared me for the real world.
- Sales Assistant at Brookfield Residential. What did I learn? Excellent customer service skills. Attention to detail through contract revision. Marketing material creation and distribution. Know your product inside-out. Pick quartz over granite.
- Server at Hart's Table and Bar. What did I learn? More customer service skills (creating regulars benefits you and the business). Multi-tasking. Up-selling feature items and drinks. Patience. Never open a champagne bottle for the first time on a man's 50th birthday. Hustle. Networking.
- Marketing Summer Student at City of Edmonton. What did I learn? Acquisition, sale/purchase, and expropriation processes. Compliance with City Council initiatives. How to close a copious amount of files efficiently. You can never start a pension too early. Creative marketing tactics for static properties (see video below).
I HAVE SHARED MY TIME WITH
- Edmonton Humane Society
- YEG Cycle
- Peace One Day
WHAT MOTIVATES ME AS AN EMPLOYEE
- Continual learning
- Goal-setting (and review)
- Flexibility/work-life balance
MORE ABOUT ME
RETIRED ATHLETE: I have played competitive soccer for 15 years of my life. Some teams include: Team Alberta, National Training Program, Victoria Soccer Club (winning 3 National Championships), and the University of Alberta Pandas. After a disheartening knee injury and slow loss of passion for the game, I have now joined a co-ed recreational league.
FAVORITE MUSIC ARTISTS: METRIC, ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA, BREAKBOT, ELTON JOHN, BEACH HOUSE, VULFPECK, AL GREEN, GRAMATIK.
FAVORITE PLACES TRAVELLED: Split, Croatia. Cascais, Portugal. Warsaw, Poland. Chilliwack, Canada. Hamilton, Bermuda.