- Fragile X is a genetic condition that causes intellectual disability, behavioral and learning challenges and various physical characteristics.
- The X chromosome is affected in this disorder specifically the FMR1 gene.
- Fragile X is caused by the expansion or lengthening of the FMR1 gene on the X chromosome.
- The FMR1 does not produce enough protein that works cell communication
- It is inherited because it is and x-linked dominant pattern
- Every 1 in 151 female is affected and every 1 in 462 male is affected by this disorder.
The National Fragile X Foundation works to help find treatments towards the Fragile X.
- The symptoms of Fragile X include:
- Social Anxiety
- Hand Biting
- Poor Eye Contact
- Sensory Disorders
- Signigicant Intellectual Disability
- Large Ears
- Long Face
- Large Testicle
- There is currently no cure for fragile x ,but special education services and a variety of therapies can help with treatment and daily life.
- Fragile X can deeply disrupt the lives of those who it has affected, because of its many symptoms fragile x can limit the reach of those who have it. That is why we as a society need to find a way to fully cure and treat this disorder. so that those who are plagued by this disease can live a normal life like you and I.