Unleash Your Activist!
April 20, 2017
WHAT CAN I DO?
Unleash Event: Ruth Messinger
Sunday, April 23, 10am. Join us at Tifereth Israel. Unleash Your Activist! has invited Ruth Messinger, Global Ambassador for American Jewish World Service, to discuss how Jewish history can inform democratic activism in America today. If you are concerned about anti-Semitism and the new administration and are looking for clarity so you can resist effectively, come to this event. RSVP here.
And bring baby and cleaning supplies for refugees! JPDS-NC students are collecting donations for the IRC and we are setting up a collection point at this event. Packs of diapers, baby wipes, small toys, pacifiers (new), bibs, and cleaning kit items: trash bags, paper towels, sponges, mops and brooms, all-purpose cleaner, laundry soap, and dish soap. No clothing or blankets, please.
Earth Day March for Science
Saturday, April 22, with plenty of ancillary events in the days before & after. Most Americans can’t name a single living scientist -- but do know that science, including basic research and regulatory science, is really important. Stand up for science and scientists, and learn something too.
May Day Action with CASA
Monday, May 1, 2pm. Unleash your Activist! will join CASA's May Day action in support of immigrant workers. We will display the collective power and vital centrality of immigrants to the success of America’s economy and we will fight to force the Trump administration to end or scale back attacks on immigrant families. Meet at the Dupont Circle Metro, South exit, at 2pm to march together as a group. RSVP here.
Virginia Election Action
Sunday, May 21. Come canvass for Virginia candidates in the important effort to win Democratic control of the legislature and check the tide of voter suppression and gerrymandering. Let’s help make VA blue! We’ll meet up that morning and carpool. Contact Susan.
A VISION FOR
UNLEASH YOUR ACTIVIST!
What’s this group about again?
- We are neighbors helping neighbors engage on local and national issues.
- We help one another find our voices and our way to action.
- We draw on Jewish values as we educate ourselves and determine our actions.
Our strongest actions so far have been in opposition to scapegoating. We are supporting immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers and doing election work for candidates who stand for an inclusive America.
BRAG YOUR ACTIVISM!
The smallest of actions can inspire others. What are you doing?
- We went to the Tax Day march on April 15. There was a good-sized crowd, lots of clever signs, lots of activist enthusiasm! --Paula & Joe
- I spent 15 minutes researching opportunities for us to participate in supporting Virginia candidates. Next I'll call to see if we can set up our own phone banking. --Carla
- I've been helping an asylum family with securing permanent housing. I rewrote our family’s social justice Haggadah to include the events of the last year and global statistics regarding poverty, displaced people's, food and water safety, and violence against women and LGBTQ. Sent another meal to those supporting the legal defense for those suffering under the executive orders. But most importantly I placed myself in a personal vulnerable position at work when I called someone out on their subtle but nonetheless racist views towards immigrants. You guys all inspire me to continue. --Kira
We registered voters in Virginia to turn the tide against Trump. --Michael
Did you take action? Do you spot progress? Have an action item to share? Write in by Tuesday for next week’s newsletter. Thanks to all who provided info for this one!
Unleash Your Activist
Neighbors helping neighbors engage on local & national issues.
Affiliated with Bend the Arc (a Jewish social justice organization)
and Indivisible (making Congress listen through best practices).
To communicate with the whole group email firstname.lastname@example.org
To suggest an item, update, or correction, contact email@example.com. Photos welcome!
Like this group? Like us on Facebook