1. If the contract is complex or involves much time or money, put it in writing.
2. If a prepared contract is presented to you for your signature read it carefully.
3. Insist that all the terms of the contract that you do not understand be defined and explained.
4. Make sure that al,l changes are written into the contract in all copies as well as on the original, and that all changes are initialed by both parties.
5. Be sure all desired terms are expressed in writing or included by specific reference to any other relevant document.
6. When any payments have been made in cash, be sure to get a receipt if payment is not acknowledged in the contract.
7. For contracts within the statue of frauds, be sure the party on the other side signs.