Snowball fight! Almost 120 years ago, the Beers family celebrated a Colorado snow in the yard of their home in 'Pickletown'. Pickletown was never an actual town, and it was never within the city limits of Littleton, but it was a community in the truest sense. It encompassed the area on either side of Pennsylvania Street and along the east side of Grant Street, south of Orchard Road to Poplar Avenue (now Caley), and the Highline Canal. It's believed that Pickletown may have originally gotten its name from the delicious cucumbers some residents grew. Some of the earliest known community members were William A. Beers and his family of five daughters. They had come to Colorado from Kentucky in 1892 for Mrs. Beers' health.
Nov. 2, 1897. Left to Right: Marguerite, Mattie, Edna, Ollie, and father (William) in background.
#ShareLittleton #ThrowbackThursday #TBT #LittletonHistory
(From the collection of the Littleton Museum. May not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Littleton Museum.)