Why an Engineering Degree?
An engineering degree or a BS in cybersecurity, computer science or information technology, is one of the most versatile degrees in the 21st century. With a fundamental engineering foundation, you can move into careers in engineering, education, medical and health fields, law school, patents and trademarks, corporate leadership or innovator and entrepreneur. An engineering education will help you learn to think critically and to assess a situation or solve a problem within the constraints of resources.
Biomedical Engineering (BSBME) $64,436*
Chemical Engineering (BSCH) $69,972*
Civil Engineering (BSCE) $54,892*
Computer Engineering (BSCP) $69,083*
Computer Science (BSCS) $74,080*
Cybersecurity (BSCyS) $60,560*
Electrical Engineering (BSEE) $67,787*
Industrial Engineering (BSIE) $60,500*
Information Technology (BSIT) $55,996*
Mechanical Engineering (BSME) $63,668*
Many practices of engineering cross over major disciplines, so a degree is not inclusive of all that one can do in a specific field.
Accelerated BS-MS degree programs available.
*2018 median starting salary (NACE Fall 2018 Salary Survey)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Information Technology General Minor
There are more than 50 different organizations in the College that you can join, plus hundreds more at USF. Here’s a sampling of engineering groups you can get involved with.
- Robotics Interest Group
- FIRST Alumni
- Engineers Without Borders
Organizations with wow!
- Society of Automotive Engineers – Build a race car every year and travel to competitions
- Society of Aeronautics and Rocketry – Build a missile and launch it at NASA compeitions
- X-Labs – Build a Tesla Coil and much more
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- Society of Women Engineers
- Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Women in Computer Science and Engineering
- Microsoft Developers
- Society of Competitive Programmers
points of pride
- The University of South Florida System is home to 50,577 representing over 145 different countries.
- USF is ranked as the #1 institution in Florida, and #6 in the Nation for Black Student Success, according to a report released by The Education Trust (2017).
- USF ranked No. 5 among U.S. public universities for the number of patents issued, according to the National Academy of Inventors (NAI) and Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) in 2016. USF also ranks No. 1 in Florida and No. 11 globally.