Praise God that He is still using Richard Encinias to counsel the needy in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He shares that he is still able to counsel by Facetime and phone. Please pray for good fruit to come out of these times of trial!
How Much Is 1 Child's Life Worth?
God Counts in Ones
by Colleen Briggs
Hope’s Promise impacts the lives of over one hundred children in four different countries. But each one of “our” kids have a name and a story. Child sponsorship dismantles the statistics and breaks the numbers down into the life of one child. As Mother Teresa once said, “God counts in ones.”
Sponsors deeply impact the life of Esther in Kenya. Today, the engaging teenager runs, teases siblings, hugs caregivers, and communicates well. But these accomplishments once seemed an unlikely dream.
Born in 2005 in Mathare Valley, second largest slum of Nairobi, Kenya, Esther failed to develop typically. Sometimes the best caregivers can hope for a sickly baby born into the desperation of a third world slum is that the child will die.
But Esther defied the odds. She spent much of her early years in the daycare of Mathare Worship Centre, founded by Hope’s Promise Country Coordinators, Pastor and Mama Karau. Various short-term visitors, including members of Hope’s Promise Connection Teams, met Esther. And their hearts broke for her. At age five, still unable to walk or speak, she rarely, if ever, smiled.
In 2010, Mama and I took Esther for a medical evaluation. The five-year-old sat motionless and expressionless through the exam, but huge tears rolled down her cheeks. The doctor concluded with these words, “You must decide how much this child’s life is worth because it will be expensive to care for her.”
How much this child’s life is worth? What kind of question is that?
The faces of friends passed through my mind, people who had met Esther through the years and longed to help her. Fortified, knowing many would unite to support her, I turned to Mama and said, “If you will provide the care, we’ll find the money.”
Pastor and Mama Karau brought her home soon after the exam. And, indeed, child sponsors stepped forward for Esther. Within a month, she took her first steps to the gleeful cheers of her new family. Today, not only does Esther run, she rides a skateboard!
Through child sponsorship, you affirm the infinite worth of one child’s life. You invest your heart, prayers, and resources into giving a child a family and hope for their future. You intersect with one child’s story and change its trajectory.
- for Esther and the other children in Hope's Promise Sanctuary of Hope homes in Nairobi, Kenya. The family (parents and 24 orphans) have been evacuated to the family farm in Northern Kenya. Pray for their time together praying, playing, and working on online school.
- for Kenya as it faces the Covid-19 situation.
An encouragement to Calvary Worship Center from Pastor Karau in Kenya:
Through each day the Lord pours His unfailing love upon us. At times you may feel like God has forsaken you, you feel like you are wandering in darkness oppressed by your enemies. The enemy taunts pierce you like a fatal wound. The enemy asks where is your God?
I urge all the believers to meditate on the records of God's goodness to his people. This will take your mind off the present situation as you focus your thoughts on God's ability to help and protect you and your family.
As at now the whole word is focusing on COVID 19. Believers must focus more on God for He has the power far above the COVID 19. Remember at the cross came the greatest victory that the world has ever witnessed. In Jesus we have that victory. Our God liveth forever. Amen.
Praise God for the food distribution Mathare Worship Centre was able to do last week among the needy in Mathare Valley slum! We're so thankful there wasn't any violence like Kibera Slum had experienced the week before.
Praise God! We have prayed for several months for Danson, a young man who was unfairly imprisoned for being an innocent party in a fraudulent scheme. He was released from jail last month!
- Please continue to pray for Kenya, and for Mathare Worship Centre to be a light in a dark place and time! "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14
- Please continue to pray for Danson, as he lost his scholarship and his future now seems uncertain. Pray that God will reveal His path for him to follow. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
Thank you for praying for Matt & Noelle Harris, serving in Uganda!
Matt shares, "Close to one year ago I was placed as the Administrator over our medical clinic, which is another branch of Terebinth. The medical center has been used by God to reach the Acholi people in so many ways. In a month we can treat as many as 250 out-patients, care for 50+ in-patients, deliver more than 30 babies, and immunize 300-400 children. We see a lot of motorcycle accidents, snake bites, and cases of severe malaria. The spiritual atmosphere in our surrounding village is very dark, and we see several attempted suicides a month, alcohol abuse, and domestic violence. But we see that Jesus' light is shining, as we open every day at the clinic with devotions with our staff and willing in-patients, and our chaplain who is a pastor who has graduated from our school who encourages, counsels, and prays with the patients even late into the night. God has used this position to stretch and grow me in a lot of ways but it's not always easy. It's been hard to see the harsh realities of life and death in the bush. And it's hard to work so closely with a corrupt local government. We praise God for what He's doing and what He will do with the clinic."
Please pray for the medical clinic as it serves so many needy people and now faces the additional challenge of Covid-19!
- for wisdom for Matt as he serves from their new, safer home in the village
- for protection of the poor from Covid-19
- for the medical clinic to keep a good reputation among the people
- for food and provision for Uganda. The country is already poor and now faces Covid-19 and a locust invasion.
Thank God for the work He continues to do in and through Janice Evans in Ukraine! Please pray:
- For her friend, Janna, to continue to read the Bible and to understand the Gospel. "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10
- For the church to be able to minister and grow in spite of lock down. "...on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Matthew 16:18
Thank God for Carlos & Yolanda Casco and their ministry teaching Inductive Bible Study and Marriage Seminars in Latin America! Praise God they have been able to continue meeting and teaching through Facebook and Zoom. Thank God the airlines have been helpful in postponing future seminars without financial penalty. Please pray for:
- Online meetings through technology - that God's Word will be powerful in each life! "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
- Future plans for ministry in Ecuador - that God will open up new doors for them to walk through.
Please pray for Eddie & Barbie Broussard as they serve globally with Navigators:
- rich times in the Word and to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18)
- wisdom and insight as Eddie studies for future teachings on 1) a Biblical view of wealth and 2) leadership from the Scriptures.
- wisdom and grace for the many video and audio calls he makes to international leaders, especially in his areas of oversight in Eurasia and Latin America
When you pray or give, YOU are part of the Great Commission - going into all the world to spread the Gospel!
If you'd like to be a part of what God is doing in Missions through Calvary Worship Center, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 719-632-3311!