The Guava was originally introduced for its fruit. Growing and harvesting that fruit has become a large industry in many tropical countries. However the seeds are spread off of the farm land designated for the guava. It has formed dense thickets in areas that were previously occupied by other plants. This has lead it to be ranked highly in the invasive categories.
The harpy eagle is the most powerful raptor found in all of the Americas. It is also very important to the people of Brazil, there it is known as the royal-hawk. However due to destruction of the rainforests it is decreasing in population. The harpy eagle has been almost entirely forced out of central america due to destruction of their habitat. Hunters are another threat to harpy eagles in all parts of the world. It is now found mostly in the very remote rainforest areas of Brazil.
- This lizard earned its name for it's ability walk on water just like the story of Jesus.
- It has special webbed feet that allow it to escape predators by running across the water.
The Poison Dart Frog
- Most poison dart frogs are not actually lethal, only three types are.
- Dart frogs use the vibrant colors to scare away predators, this is called aposematic coloration.
- The Jaguar is the largest cat in Americas and third in the world.
- The Jaguar has an incredibly strong bite and can climb trees to stalk its prey.
After only one year banana trees can reach their full height, usually 10-20 feet.
Brazil Nut Tree
The brazil nut tree can reach over 160ft tall. This allows it to reach the sun light other trees cannot giving it an advantage.
Venus Fly Trap
The venus fly trap has sensors that are activated when bugs touch them. Once more than one sensor is activated the trap springs shut and traps the bug for digestion.