WHY PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR PHOTOGRAPHY?
THE VAST MAJORITY OF HOME BUYERS START THEIR SEARCH ONLINE, SO IT IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE FIRST IMPRESSION COUNT!
FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR THE BEST PHOTOGRAPHS POSSIBLE
GENERAL TIPS FOR ALL AREAS
- CLEAN THE ENTIRE HOME INCLUDING VACUUMING, COUNTERTOPS AND WINDOWS
- TURN ALL OVERHEAD LIGHTS AND LAMPS ON (20 minutes before photography)
- REPLACE ALL BURNED OUT LIGHT BULBS (it really stands out if one is burned out)
- USE BULBS OF THE SAME BRIGHTNESS AND COLOR (warm -vs- cool)
- TURN ALL CEILING FANS OFF
- TURN ALL TV'S AND COMPUTER MONITORS OFF
- REMOVE PERSONAL PHOTOGRAPHS (or replace with general landscape/object photos)
- MAKE ALL BEDS (make the room "guest ready")
- REMOVE SMALL FLOOR RUGS TO REVEAL ACTUAL FLOORING
- PLACE ALL SHOES/JACKETS AND BACKPACKS IN CLOSETS
- IT NEVER WORKS TO TRY AND MOVE ITEMS FROM ROOM TO ROOM AHEAD OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER. PLEASE HAVE THE HOME READY WHEN THE PHOTOGRAPHER ARRIVES
- WE DO NOT RESCHEDULE FOR WEATHER ISSUES. WE HAVE SHOOTING AND EDITING METHODS TO HELP YOUR HOME LOOK GREAT REGARDLESS
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM OUR PHOTOGRAPHERS
- WE WILL SHOW UP ON TIME. IF THERE IS A DELAY, WE WILL CALL TO ADVISE
- WE WILL TREAT YOUR HOME AND BELONGINGS WITH RESPECT
- SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO ADJUST THE POSITIONING OF FURNITURE FOR THE BEST ANGLES. (we will put everything back as we found it)
- A TYPICAL THREE BEDROOM RANCHER HOME TAKES APPROXIMATELY ONE HOUR TO PHOTOGRAPH. LARGER HOMES WILL TAKE APPROX. 90 MINUTES
- IF WE ARE DOING AERIAL (DRONE) PHOTOGRAPHY, THIS ADDS AN ADDITIONAL 30 TO 60 MINUTES OF OUR TIME ON-SITE
- IF WE ARE PROVIDING MATTERPORT 3D VIRTUAL TOUR PHOTOGRAPHY, THIS ADDS ABOUT 45 MINUTES PER 1000 SQUARE FEET
- 80% OF THE HOMES WE PHOTOGRAPH, THERE IS NO ONE PRESENT. A KEY IS HIDDEN FOR US OR WE ARE PROVIDED WITH A GARAGE CODE FOR ENTRY. IT IS NOT NECESSARY FOR THE HOMEOWNER TO BE PRESENT (you are welcome if you desire)
- IF WE MOVE SOMETHING WE TRY TO PUT IT BACK. BUT IF YOU CAN'T FIND SOMETHING AFTER WE ARE FINISHED, LOOK INTHE CLOSEST DRAWER OR CUPBOARD.
FRONTAL EXTERIOR OF YOUR HOME
CREATE A GREAT "CURB APPEAL" THAT INVITES PEOPLE IN
- CLOSE GARAGE DOORS
- PLACE GARBAGE AND RECYCLING CANS INSIDE THE GARAGE
- REMOVE VEHICLES FROM THE DRIVEWAY AND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE HOME
- MOW, TRIM SHRUBS, RAKE UP LEAVES
- REMOVE EMPTY PLANTERS
- REMOVE VISIBLE WATER HOSES
- REMOVE TOYS, SPORTS EQUIPMENT, BASKETBALL HOOPS, BICYCLES, ETC.
- STAGE YOUR FRONT PORCH WITH CHAIRS IF POSSIBLE (make it inviting)
- MAKE SURE FRONT PORCH LIGHTS ARE WORKING AND ON (no colored light bulbs)
YOUR BACKYARD. A PLACE TO RELAX
- CLEAR OUT KID'S TOYS, BALLS, ETC
- CLEAN POOL (if you are lucky enough to have one)
- REMOVE POOL VACUUM/CEANER HOSES AND HIDE CHEMICALS
- IF YOU HAVE A HOT TUB, ITS GREAT TO SHOW IT OFF WITH THE COVER REMOVED AND THE JETS TURNED ON
- TURN ON WATER FEATURES AND ANY SPECIAL LIGHTING FOR THEM
- REMOVE VISIBLE WATER HOSES
- REMOVE TRASH CANS
- TIDY UP DECKS AND PATIOS
- SET UP CHAIRS AND A TABLE
- HIDE WHEELBAROWS, SHOVELS, RAKES, ETC.
- MAKE SURE BACK PORCH LIGHTS ARE WORKING AND ON
YOUR KITCHEN. THE FOCAL POINT OF THE HOME
- CLEAR COUNTERTOPS (no mail, baking/cooking supplies, phone chargers, paper towels)
- ONLY A COUPLE OF SMALL APPLIANCES OUT (ex: coffee maker and toaster)
- CLEAR REFRIGERATOR OF ALL MAGNETS AND ARTWORK (front and sides)
- HIDE THE GARBAGE CAN IN A CLOSET OR PANTRY
- REMOVE DISHES AND CLEANING SUPPLIES FROM THE SINK
- CLEAN THE DOOR OF THE OVENS, MICROWAVE AND DISHWASHER
- HAVING SOME COLORFUL FRUIT OUT IN A BASKET IS GREAT
- PUT YOUR ASSORTMENT OF SPICES AWAY BUT ITS OKAY TO LEAVE A COOKBOOK OUT AND OPEN ON THE COUNTER
- CLEAR TABLE, DUST AND POLISH THE TABLE TOP
- USE DECORATIVE PLACE SETTING IF AVAILABLE
- FEATURE ONE CENTER PIECE SUCH AS A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS
- STRAIGHTEN ALL CHAIRS AND SPACE THEM EVENLY
- REMOVE CHILD SEATS/BOOSTER CHAIRS
LIVING ROOM - FAMILY ROOM
- REMOVE STACKS OF MAGAZINES, PAPERS, MAIL, ETC
- DECLUTTER FIREPLACE MANTEL/HEARTH
- REMOVE TOYS
- CLEAN FIREPLACE GLASS DOORS
- PILLOWS ON FURNITURE ARE NICE BUT NOT TOO MANY
- REMOVE BLANKETS FROM COUCH AND CHAIRS
- TURN ON ALL OVERHEAD, FLOOR AND TABLE LAMPS
BEDROOMS - A PLACE OF REST
- MAKE BEDS GUEST READY
- CLEAR NIGHTSTANDS OF ALL PERSONAL ITEMS
- HIDE PHONE/TABLET CHARGERS AND CORDS
- REMOVE CLUTTER FROM TOP OF DRESSERS
- CLEAN UNDER THE BED (we can often see under the bed)
- REMOVE POSTERS AND STICKERS FROM KIDS BEDROOMS
- DECLUTTER AS BEST AS YOU CAN
- LIMIT THE NUMBER OF STUFFED ANIMALS IN KIDS BEDROOMS
- HIDE CLOTHES HAMPERS
- CLEAN COUNTERTOPS COMPLETELY (no soap, toothbrushes, makeup, medications, etc.)
- PUT TOILET SEATS DOWN
- HIDE TOILET PLUNGERS AND SCRUBBERS
- REMOVE SHAMPOO, SOAP, RAZORS, ETC. FROM THE SHOWER/TUB AREAS
- REMOVE FLOOR MATS
- REMOVE DIRTY TOWELS
- CLOSE CLOSET DOORS
- REMOVE CLOTHES, ROBES, ETC. FROM BACK OF DOORS
- CLEAN THE MIRRORS
- HIDE LAUNDRY BASKETS
- REMOVE SOAPS, DETERGENT JUGS, CLEANERS, ETC. FROM THE COUNTERTOP
- REMOVE CLOTHES FROM HANGERS, COUNTERS, BACK OF DOOR, ETC.
- REMOVE FLOOR MATS
OUR LOVABLE PETS (great companions but never shown in photographs)
- HIDE ALL FOOD AND WATER DISHES
- HIDE ALL CHEW TOYS
- HIDE PET BEDS, SCRATCHING POSTS, ETC.
- CLEAR BACK YARD OF PET WASTE/TOYS
- HIDE PORTABLE KENNELS
- TAKE ON WALK OR SECURE IN GARAGE DURING THE PHOTOGRAPHY
If we are providing aerial imagery of your property, there are a few items that can help make a positive impact from this special photography.
- Park cars inside the garage or away from the home (down the street)
- Other items such as boats, trailers, etc. are best not parked next to the home
- Hide garbage and recycling cans, wheelbarrows, etc.
- Looking down from above, we see everything surrounding the home so take a walk around your home and see what you can put away or hide from view
- Tarps can be a big distraction, especially the blue ones. Consider removing tarps from wood piles or anywhere else used the day of the photography
- There are many legal and safety concerns when flying a UAS (drone) and our photographers really need to concentrate on what they are doing. Please leave them alone during the flight and ask your questions afterwards.
Matterport 3D Imaging
If your Agent has arranged for us to provide Matterport 3D imaging of your home, there are some special considerations that will help your home show off best.
- This special camera rotates 360 degrees when it captures images. This means that no one can be present during this phase of photography. Even our photographers have to control the camera with an iPad from an adjacent room or other place to hide out. Unfortunately you cannot watch this process while we are doing it.
- This process goes beyond just photography but the camera also maps and measures distances to every object in each scan (photograph). Due to this, nothing can move in the home once the process starts. By this we mean anything like chairs, pillows, doors, etc. You will want to take a walk through the home and make sure everything is where you want it before the process starts. Sorry but no coming out to make a cup of coffee during this.
- As this method of photography stitches all of the images together into one seamless walk-through image, we cannot do any retouching so again, do a walk through and make sure all is ready before we start.
- It takes approximately 45 minutes per 1000 SF for this photography, in addition to any other photography we may be doing so a 4000 SF home will take three hours just for the Matterport 3D imaging.
- As mentioned above, this process of photography sees "everything" so make sure everything is put away before the photographer arrives. Items often missed are bathroom counters not cleared of makeup, toothbrushes, etc. Shampoo bottles, loofa sponges, clothes hanging on the back of doors, animal food and water dishes, etc.
SORRY BUT THERE ARE THINGS WE DO NOT DO
- MOVE FURNITURE (though we sometimes will adjust angles for composition)
- MAKE BEDS, DECLUTTER OR DO CLEANING
- PICK UP TOYS, YARD ITEMS AND OTHER THINGS MENTIONED ABOVE
- PHOTOSHOP VEHICLES, DAMAGED WALLS, STAINED CARPET, PICTURES, CORDS, ETC.
- TOUCH PERSONAL BATHROOM ITEMS (toothbrushes, deodorant, towels, etc.)
Our desire is to provide you not just photographs, but images that convey thought, feeling and emotion of what it would be like to live in your home. This requires teamwork and cooperation for the best results. When we arrive to photograph your home, the best results come from everything being ready so we can concentrate on the lighting, artistic and design elements of your home. Though you are welcome to be present, it is best if the photographer can work alone to concentrate on his/her craft.
Phone: 208-819-1980 or Email: contact@ShowcaseExposure.com