- Nucleus: A dense organelle present in most eukaryotic cells, typically a single rounded structure bounded by a double membrane
- Nuclear envelope: The nuclear envelope is the double membrane structure that surrounds the nucleus in eukaryotic cells and provides this compartmentalization.
- Nuclear pore: The nuclear pore is a protein-lined channel in the nuclear envelope that regulates the transportation of molecules between the nucleus and the cytoplasm
- Nucleolus: A small dense spherical structure in the nucleus of a cell during interphase.
- Cell membrane: The semipermeable membrane surrounding the cytoplasm of a cell.
- Cell Wall: A rigid layer of polysaccharides lying outside the plasma membrane of the cells of plants, fungi, and bacteria. In the algae and higher plants, it consists mainly of cellulose.
- Mitochondria: An organelle found in large numbers in most cells, in which the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production occur. It has a double membrane, the inner layer being folded inward to form layers
- Lysosome: An organelle in the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells containing degradative enzymes enclosed in a membrane.
- Ribosome: A minute particle consisting of RNA and associated proteins, found in large numbers in the cytoplasm of living cells. They bind messenger RNA and transfer RNA to synthesize polypeptides and proteins.
- Golgi Apparatus: A complex of vesicles and folded membranes within the cytoplasm of most eukaryotic cells, involved in secretion and intracellular transport.
- Vacuole: A space or vesicle within the cytoplasm of a cell, enclosed by a membrane and typically containing fluid.
- Endoplasmic Reticulum: A network of membranous tubules within the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell, continuous with the nuclear membrane. It usually has ribosomes attached and is involved in protein and lipid synthesis.
- Centriole: A minute cylindrical organelle near the nucleus in animal cells, occurring in pairs and involved in the development of spindle fibers in cell division.
- Cytoplasm: The material or protoplasm within a living cell, excluding the nucleus.
Cytoplasm - Dictionary Definition. (n.d.). Retrieved January 23, 2017, from https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/cytoplasm