our celebration story
The Fair Trade Movement has inspired the world in advancing gender equality. Women in Fair Trade are four times as likely to hold a senior management position, become CEO or join the board. The WFTO community, for example, has a gender equality policy required for all organisations to become verified Fair Trade Enterprises. With deep commitment on gender equality, the Fair Trade Movement is driven by women leaders who have empowered themselves and are inspiring other women to become empowered.
“Fair Trade champions gender equality and women’s empowerment.”
The WFTO Gender Reports
“Fair Trade Enterprises have gender equality and women’s economic empowerment at the heart of what they do, believing that we will never achieve sustainable development if women’s full potential is not realised.” – WFTO Gender Report #2, February 2019
Fair Trade Enterprises foster women’s empowerment through these six best practices:
- Education, awareness-raising and skills training for women, and for women and men together;
- Providing women (as well as men) with leadership opportunities at every level in the FTO whether this is in a factory situation or in a less formal, rural, village setting as members and leaders of women’s groups;
- Giving women the chance to participate in decision-making in their organisations and communities;
- Providing equal pay for equal work; providing fair pay in all situations.
- Promoting Fair Trade in whatever way they can.
- Challenging entrenched stereotypes and traditional social norms