- Born in Braunau, Austria, Apr. 20, 1889. Not even German!
- Father Alois Hitler was a “busy” man; an Austrian civil servant.
- It was said his father may have been Jewish!
- Mother Klara Pölzl was Alois’ niece!
- Uneventful childhood – respectable student but dropped out of school early.
- Wanted to become an artist – moved in w/sister in Vienna, Austria.
- Failed 3 times to get accepted to Vienna’s top art school – blamed it on Jews!
(Hitler is the one on the Left with the long moustache)
Rose as far as corporal in WWI.
October 7, 1916 was hit in the leg & butt by shell fragments.
October, 1918 was gassed at Ypres and temporarily blinded.
Won 5 medals, including an Iron Cross (August, 1918). Recommended for it by a Jewish officer – Hitler later denied this.
Called sloppy, unusual, and told he lacked military breeding - prevented rise.
Hitler's Love Life
HITLER JOINS THE NSDAP
Officially joined in 1920; made leader in 1921 because of “gift for gab”. He was a GREAT speaker!
NSDAP [National Socialist German Workers Party]. Later called the Nazis.
- Hitler co-wrote the 25 Points [Nazi manifesto]:
- Rejected the Treaty of Versailles;
- Separated from Communists… blamed them for 1918 revolts.
- Restrict immigration – only Germans can be citizens.
- Need to have strong, authoritarian government.
The Beer Hall Putsch - 1923
- Hitler’s attempt to overthrow Bavarian (SE Germany) government in Nov.
- Thought this was 1st step to taking over Germany
- Called party into action by leaping onto a table in a tavern!
- 16 Nazis/ 3 police died as the drunken coup lasted only a few hours.
- First found cowering under a car, then at a friend’s house after he abandoned the coup. He was jailed, sentenced 5 years – served 9 months.
MEIN KAMPF - 1925
- Hitler’s book written in prison –
- Mein Kampf =“MY STRUGGLE”
- Set out goals for Germany, claimed “Aryans” (Caucasians of pure German descent) were a master race destined to rule, esp. over Jews, Eastern Europeans
- Called for more Lebensraum, “living space” & growth of German pop’n
- Called for Anschluss – unification of Austria and Germany
- Made threats to German enemies
- Book was not popular at first…
The SCHUTZSTAFFEL (SS)- AKA the "Black shirts"
- Hitler’s personal bodyguards – “Elite Guards” – created 1925.
- Handpicked by Hitler and SS Heinrich Himmler (above)
- Only 100 in 1925; would later be secret intelligence service (SD), secret police (gestapo), and controlled concentration camps.
- In the 1920s, Hitler believed that SS members had to be racially pure.
- Must show traits of the “Aryan Race”
The STURMABTEILUNG (SA) - AKA the "Brown Shirts"