Thursday, March 11th 5 - 8 pm
Please click on the link below to visit the Conference Manager website and schedule your sessions.
We are asking families to only reserve a session if your student is underperforming in their class. Spaces are limited and we want to have openings available for the families that need it most.
Conferences are scheduled for Thursday, March 11th from 5 - 8 pm. They will once again be virtual, and we will utilize Zoom as our platform. Just like in the fall, teachers will use their Support Zoom link for conferences. We are still using the online Conference Manager scheduling tool to reserve conference times. This software will allow you to pick and choose your own schedule for conferences, which can make for a more efficient and personalized experience for parents..
Join our Baker Team & Become a Part of our Baker Family
March is Reading Month
Please see the calendar below to follow along and discuss with your student.
Author Visit: Alicia D. Williams
To celebrate our 21st Annual Troybery Award Program, the TSD middle school Media Centers are hosting 2020 Newbery Honor Award-winning author Alicia D. Williams on May 12 for a virtual visit! We invite you and your students to participate in our author visit! Students and staff can sign up using the link below.
In order to attend the author Zoom on May 12, from 2-3 P.M., students must attend a Zoom book discussion on April 21 from 2:25-3:00 P.M. that will include middle school students and staff from across the district.
When you and/or students sign up, there is an option to ask for a FREE e-Book copy of Genesis Begins Again! If that option is chosen, you and/or students will receive the e-Book on the Sora app for 90 days to read the book in preparation for the book discussion and author visit. In addition, I am giving away 10 autographed copies of book. Those who sign up by February 26 will be entered in the drawing to win a copy!
Fun Friday Video 3/5/21
Updated Mask Protocols
With the new variant strains of the Corona Virus circulating around the state, the Oakland County Health Division (OCHD) no longer recommends/allows gaiters as a substitute for a mask. Please note that gaiters can no longer be worn in school. The Family Guidebook (on the TSD website) was updated to reflect this change in policy. For your convenience I have included a link to the Family Guidebook and the updated text below.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT - MASKS p. 12
"In order to protect the health and safety of our school community, all students in preschool through post-secondary programs must wear a face mask inside school buildings and while riding the bus at all times. Face shields, bandanas and neck gaiters are not an acceptable substitute for a face mask. Masks must meet the CDC recommended standards, fit tightly, be made of tightly woven fabric and cannot have vents, holes, mesh or other areas where light can easily pass through."
Middle School Math Test Out Information 2021-2022 School Year
Middle School Math Test-Out 2021
Middle School students may waive a mathematics course requirement by testing out of a particular course. The requirements for testing out and the study guides for each course can be found on the Troy School District, Teaching and Learning web page:
The test out registration form must be completed online through the PowerSchool Parent/Student Portal. Submissions will be accepted between February 22 - March 22, 2021. Applications will be marked as "approved" after March 29 - no action is required from parents after submitting the form.
- Log into PowerSchool at ps.troy.k12.mi.us (web version only)
- Click the Icon Forms from the Left Menu
- Open the form Waiving a Math Course through Testing Out and complete the required fields (the registration form will open on February 22, 2021)
Math Test-Out exams will take place at Baker. Dates and times of exams will be communicated via email after March 29. Exams will take place in late April. All tests will be 90-minutes except for the Math 7/8 Honors exam which will be 120-minutes.
Please see important information below regarding food pick up and community resources.
- Weekly food bags at Baker Middle School: available for pick up during office hours (8am-3pm). The main doors are unlocked, and bags are located right inside the front door. If you child attends in-seat, they can pick a bag up anytime they are at school. If you would like the office to connect with your child and ask them to take a bag home at the end of the week, please respond to this e-mail.
- Personal hygiene items at Baker Middle School: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes and more available for students and families. Located inside the main doors, near the weekly food bags and school supply pick up area. Please take what you need. Available during office hours.
- Food Service Curbside Pickup: Curbside Pick Up (breakfast and lunch) at Athens and Troy High School on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1pm-2pm. These meals are free and available to anyone 18 years and younger.
- Gleaners Free Food Distribution: Located at Morse Elementary, 475 Cherry Dr., Troy 48083. Every other Monday from 2-4pm: Feb. 15th, March 1st, March 15th, March 29th, April 12th, April 26th
Households with children who are in need of food are encouraged to attend our upcoming drive-thru food distribution sponsored by Gleaners Community Food Bank.
- Please stay in your vehicle to limit exposure. Please arrive with an empty trunk. Groceries will be placed into your trunk
- Guests without vehicles are welcome to walk up, while maintaining six feet of social distancing, and should be prepared to carry 20-30 pounds or have a cart.
The county has established the Oakland County Help Hotline to address the needs of residents who may need food or housing assistance during this time. That number – 248-858-1000—will be staffed from 8am-8pm.
For social-emotional resources and support, please connect with your child's school counselor and visit this website: https://www.troy.k12.mi.us/home-covid-19/social-and-emotional-support by clicking on the link below.
- MS Counselor (Last Names A-K) KChlebek@troy.k12.mi.us
- MS Counselor (last names L-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Learn Guidebook
Please click on the following link to access and review a downloadable PDF of the Return to Learn Guidebook. Please read through the guidebook carefully and contact the Baker Middle School main office if you have any questions.
Daily Health Screening
As a part of our Return to Learn Plan, all students attending school in-person, will need to complete a daily health screening. Please note that you only have to submit the screening on the days your student is physically in class. It's very important that you do this by 7:45 am. Students will not be able to attend school in-person if the screenings are not done. This is not intended to be punitive in any way, but it is a critical measure in protecting the safety of all.
DAILY STUDENT HEALTH ASSESSMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Log in to your Parent Portal on PowerSchool
- Click “Student Assessment” in the banner across the top
- Answer 4 questions about your student’s health that day
- Click submit (and repeat the process for every student in your family)
It’s very important that you keep your student home if you answer “Yes” to any of the questions or your child is ill in any way. Don't forget--this doesn't mean they have to miss school. They can simply join virtually from home as they have been doing so far. We considered this in the designing of our hybrid plan.
Please call 248.823.4601 to report absences
Attendance is an important factor in your students academic success. Regular and punctual attendance is an expectation for our learning environment, regardless of the format! All student absences must be called in to our attendance hotline before school starts, the morning of your student’s absence (248.823.4601). The attendance hotline is available 24 hours per day.
Virtual Club Information
Virtual Clubs are now up and running. Please click on the link above to access our updated Virtual Club List. Information on meeting times, etc. will be communicated via Schoology by the club sponsors.
Yearbook Order Information