Selections and comments by Travis McCurdy, Northwood Assistant Athletic Director for Communications
The tennis programs at Northwood have been among the best in the country under Zane Colestock, and that continued this decade. The team won a total of 11 GLIAC or GLIAC Tournament Championships over the last 10 years. In other words, there are some great players on this list! To match a regular tennis lineup, our all-decade team will have six players
(NOTE - this team is in alphabetical order)
Susana Alcaraz (2011-13)
- GLIAC Freshman of the Year (2011)
- GLIAC Player of the Year (2012)
- Two-time First Team All-GLIAC honoree
- Went 77-9 in two years at Northwood
Although Susana left Northwood after two years to play Division I at New Mexico State, her accomplishments for the Timberwolves cannot be ignored. The team went 26-0 in the GLIAC with her at the top of the lineup, during which she was 48-1 combined in singles and doubles
Carol Arnez-Mercado (2015-19)
- Four-time First Team All-GLIAC
- 95-38 overall individual record
- Went 23-1 in GLIAC matches in her junior and senior seasons
As great as Yubi was, a shoulder injury for most of her career meant we never quite got to see how good she really was. Considering she was unable to serve overhand for big parts of her career, her results are incredible.
Darina Berkova (2007-14)
- GLIAC Player of the Year (2013)
- First Team All-GLIAC (2013)
- Went 17-0 overall in singles, including 9-0 in GLIAC play from the No. 1 position in 2013
- Also went 15-5 in doubles play
- Led Northwood to the GLIAC and GLIAC Tournament Championship while going undefeated in the regular season (21-0)
Darina had one of the most remarkable careers in Northwood Athletics history. She played at Northwood from 2007-10 and came back to get her master's degree in 2013. She earned GLIAC Player of the Year twice - with a four-year span in between the two awards!
Tetyana Pavych (2015-19)
- 2018 GLIAC Player of the Year
- First Team All-GLIAC (2017, 2018)
- Second Team All-GLIAC (2016)
- Honorable Mention All-GLIAC (2015)
- Went 112-23 in her career at Northwood
Tetyana might be the most athletic player in women's tennis history at Northwood. And her climb from the No. 6 singles player as a freshman to the GLIAC Player of the Year as a senior is one of the biggest improvements I've seen out of any athlete at Northwood.
Anastasia Puchkina (2011-15)
- Second Team All-GLIAC (2013-14, 2014-15)
- Honorable Mention All-GLIAC (12-13)
- Finished career with a 125-36 overall record
Anastasia is one of the best doubles players in school history. She spent four years playing at the No. 1 doubles position and went 69-16. In her time at Northwood, the Timberwolves won a total of six GLIAC titles (three championships, three tournament championships).
Svenja Stephan (2009-13)
- Four Time All-GLIAC honoree, including being named First Team in 2010
- Named GLIAC Freshman of the Year for the 2009-10 season
- Finished career with 96 career victories
Svenja played near the top of the Northwood lineup for four years. In that time, Northwood claimed six total GLIAC titles (three GLIAC Championships, three GLIAC Tournament titles). NU went to the NCAA Tournament all four years of her career.