Assembly of the Drive System
Before we have made our Drill housing, I had set up the gear settings for the drive train. Above are all the settings so I would not forget them if I had to remake the gears.
After numerous errors, I had gotten the file to render correctly in Vcarve. I found if the gear had more than 36 teeth, it would do a lap around the outside of the gear twice, thus reducing the piece to a circle at best.
Because the drive train idea with gears was a pain to make and to hard to incorporate with the size of cart we have, the team decided with the way the wheel was mounted it was easier to do a direct drive over the original idea.
In this housing the lawn mower wheel holds a precise item that we will use to drive our kart. It will be attached to the remaining short amount of rod that we have with a nut at each end to secure it tightly.
Stripping this gear from the Lawn Mower I had brought in. This is what the gear looks like after we had taken it off of the lawn mower.
We cut down the remaining amount of rod and attached the gear from the lawnmower to directly drive the system. We cut through the nut on the rod to make the fixture permanent.
After the attachment tests sadly we had to fix the position of the wheel and the amount of rod on each side of the wheel. We do this by attaching the drill to the rod and either driving it forward or in reverse until the correct position is required.
Creating a slot in the wood was made by Alex. Here we are going to place our drill in the slot and figure out a way to disengage and engage it for drive .
Once the slot was cut, this is what the final driving system will look like more or less.
Assembly of Steering
Thrown together last minute by me, the idea is to create a steering column that Mr. Estock had on his cart, but with a 3D printed pulley piece instead of notching the woodl
Just to test the concept, I grabbed a pulley out of the Shop to ensure quality with some string to see if my idea was ludicrous to begin with.
Going further in depth, this is a rough idea of what the column will look like just to present the group the idea as a visual.
Before I began to work on this new idea, I created a list of pro's and con's of each system the team had planned to create. In the end we ended up deciding on the Steering Column.
We had tested the pulley to see when it is attached to the rod if it would actually have a firm grip on the string and actually move it or if it would just skip off of the smooth surface. We had found that if we multi-wrap the string around itself, it has the best ability and tension to turn the wheels. Aly and I had to wrap it about six times to to get an accurate amount of tension to turn the wheel.
We had tested it with weak string the first time, we used para-cord the second time. The change of the string to para-cord made a significant difference where we only had to wrap upon itself three times to get an accurate amount of pull on the wheels.
In the rough diagram above, this was the rod that Nolan had made and given to our group free of charge.
Not the best picture in the world, but this is my half-way completion of the pulley more or less in Onshape.
Finally completed, this is the actuall size of the pulley that will be attached to the rod.
Just for the OnShape assembly, I had made a rough steering wheel design (which now that I look at it seems to be quite sad) to attach to the column for steering.
After all my parts were completed, this is what the rough idea looks like where the pulley is a snug fit on the rod. Then I would feed it through the bottom of the kart and use string attached to the supports on the front wheel to turn it.
At open lab I had printed my pulley's design on a low resolution to speed up the procress.
There was a moment of relief when I had attached the pulley to the rod. Surprisingly, the fit was snug the first time producing a firm connection between the two.
Prior to the night of my AP Lang exam, I made these directions for Shaer, Joey and Aly because Kelsey and I would not be there that day due to testing. These direcions overlay what I wanted to do for steering before we had hit the major time crunch. It also describes how we will attach the steering column to the Go-kart.
Like the picture above it is the same idea. Yet, the PVC was meant to act as a guide when we placed it through the body. The two "end cap" pieces ensured the piece would not shake around when turning the steering wheel.