ALUMNI HALL DAWGS
Constructed in 1931, Alumni Hall originally served as the border for the south edge of campus. When it first opened, Alumni Hall served visiting alumni and was named to honor the loyalty of all alumni.
Alumni Hall residents are nicknamed the "Dawgs" in honor of the University's first mascot.
BADIN HALL BULLFROGS
Originally constructed in 1897 as St. Joseph's Industrial School, Badin Hall was renamed in 1917 in honor of Rev. Stephen Badin, the first Catholic priest ordained in the United States and provider of the land where the original Log Cabin was built.
The Badin Bullfrogs host the Polar Bear Plunge. Each February students jump into icy cold St. Joseph's Lake to raise money for charity.
BAUMER HALL [TBD]
Baumer Hall is the newest addition to the Notre Dame residential life community, completed in Summer 2019. Right now, it serves as home to the Dillon Hall community, whose hall is currently being renovated. (Read more about Dillon below.)
Students assigned to Baumer Hall in the 2020-21 academic year will enjoy founding new traditions and creating community in this brand new hall.
BREEN-PHILLIPS HALL BABES
Breen-Phillips or BP, home of the "Babes," became one of the first women’s residence halls after the University began admitting women in 1972. The Breen-Phillips Meal Auction, the hall’s signature event, raises donations for Meals on Wheels from students bidding to eat with coaches, faculty, and other ND notables.
CAVANAUGH HALL CHAOS
The Cavanaugh "Chaos" live in this hall named for Notre Dame's fifth president Rev. John W. Cavanaugh, C.S.C.
An active community, Cavanaugh coordinates events throughout the year, including dances, educational presentations, cornhole tournaments, the Naugh Fest Spirit Week, a Christmas pageant, and Father-Daughter/Mother-Daughter weekends.
DILLON HALL BIG RED
In addition to its annual Stache Bash to support the South Bend Center for the Homeless, the Dillon community is best known for its opening day whiffle ball tournament and its weekly Milkshake Mass, where students celebrate Mass in Dillon’s St. Patrick’s Chapel and stay afterward for milkshakes.
FLAHERTY HALL BEARS
The Bears live on the Northeast corner of campus in one of the newest halls on campus, established in 2016.
Flaherty is home to the Flaherty Food Fights and the Pumpkin Pie project, for which residents work with campus dining each November to bake 100 pumpkin pies for the South Bend Center for the Homeless.
FISHER HALL GREEN WAVE/FISHERMEN
That's right, Fisher Hall men have not one, but two mascots. Each resident is a "fisherman" and together they make up the "Green Wave."
Fisher hosts the famous Fisher Regatta, an annual fundraiser in which students from all over campus build boats by hand and compete in a across St. Mary's Lake.
LEWIS HALL CHICKS
Who's up for pancakes? The Lewis Hall Chicks usually are, especially during their yearly L-HOP (Lewis House of Pancakes) event. Once a year, the Chicks open their residence hall to the campus community, serving a different breakfast item on each floor. Proceeds benefit a local food bank.
KNOTT HALL JUGGERKNOTTS
Make way for the JuggerKnotts! The men of Knott hold down a corner of what's known as Mod Quad. Each year they lead the Aidan Project, a cancer awareness initiative in which students make fleece blankets and write personal notes of encouragement for children undergoing cancer treatment.
MORRISSEY HALL "THE MANOR"
Built in 1925, Morrissey Hall is named after Rev. Andrew Morrissey, C.S.C., Notre Dame's seventh president. The hall is often referred to as Morrissey Manor, and is nicknamed simply “The Manor.”
The hall is known for its architecture and Yaz’s, nighttime food sales named in honor of former resident and Boston Red Sox hall of famer Carl Yastrzemski.
PANGBORN HALL/JOHNSON FAMILY HALL VALKYRIES
For the past several years, Pangborn has served as host to other hall communities during their own year-long hall renovations.
In the 2019-20 academic year, Pangborn Hall became the home of the Valkyries, a community living in Pangborn before their transition to the newly built Johnson Hall in Fall 2020.
Students admitted to the Class of 2024 can look forward to new traditions as they help found and shape the Johnson Family Hall community.
O'NEILL FAMILY HALL ANGRY MOB
The Angry Mob of O'Neill Family Hall takes their nickname from the annals of campus history. Legend has it that when students moved from former residence Grace Hall to either O'Neill Family Hall or Keough Hall in 1996, some students were angry about their relocation. Purportedly, they held a series of bonfires in protest. When the time came to choose a mascot for O'Neill, residents decided to carry on the memory by naming themselves the Angry Mob.
The "Bloody Red Hand of O'Neill," seen above on the hall flag, is explained here.
PASQUERILLA EAST PYROS
The Pyros of Pasquerilla East (PE) and their sisters in Pasquerilla West (PW or P-Dub) take up residence in Mod Quad. These sister halls were built with the provision that donors Frank and Sylvia Pasquerilla’s twin daughters would each occupy one hall during their senior year.
SIEGFRIED HALL RAMBLERS
Originally called “The Slammers,” the men of Siegfried became the “Ramblers” in 1997, also the name of Notre Dame’s athletic teams before they were called the Fighting Irish.
Each winter, Siegfried hosts “Day of Man,” in which residents brave the cold wearing shorts, T-shirts, and flip-flops to raise money for the South Bend Center for the Homeless.
PASQUERILLA WEST HALL PURPLE WEASELS
Pasquerilla West, sister hall of PE, also known as P-Dub, is home to the Purple Weasels.
During the first full week of February, PW hosts its annual spirit week, Queen Week, in which each section competes in various events to crown a first-year student as “Queen.” The PW color is purple and they trumpet their motto, “Peace, Love, P-Dub” wherever they go.
SORIN HALL (SORIN COLLEGE) OTTERS
Sorin Hall, known among students as Sorin College, is Notre Dame's first residence hall. It was built in 1888 and named for University founder Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C. The name debate harkens back to 1969 when the Sorin Otters, in protest of the Vietnam War, symbolically seceded from the University, renaming the residence “Sorin College.”
Past residents include legendary head football coach, Knute Rockne; athlete and athletics director, Ed “Moose” Krause; and Heisman trophy winners John Lujack, Johnny Lattner, and Paul Hornung.
RYAN HALL WILDCATS
Ryan Hall, home of the Wildcats, was built in the spirit of accommodation and accessibility for students with disabilities.
The Wildcats are dedicated to serving the South Bend community through signature events such as Wheelchair Basketball, Relay for Life, and Caring Cats Clothing Collection to benefit St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. Joseph County.
STANFORD HALL GRIFFINS
Stanford Hall is home of the Griffins, named in honor of Rev. Robert F. Griffin, C.S.C, beloved University chaplain for 30 years.
Stanford and Keenan Hall were built together in 1957 and the two halls enjoy a brotherly rivalry. This is played out in the annual Battle for the Chapel, an interhall football game whose winner is awarded naming rights to the shared hall chapel.
WALSH HALL WILD WOMEN
The Wild Women of Walsh Hall host a number of events each year, including: Bike Michiana for the Center for Hospice Care, College Dancing with the Stars for the Center for the Homeless, and Fun Friday for the Boys and Girls Club.
Men from halls across campus compete for the title in the hall's Mr. ND event. Pie Your President is a fundraiser for Ronald McDonald House that brings hall presidents and vice presidents together to get a pie in the face.
ST. EDWARD'S HALL STEDSMEN/GENTLEMEN
Like many Notre Dame halls, St. Edward's Hall has a history and lore of its own. Also known as St. Ed's or STEDS, it is home to the Stedsmen, also known as the Gentlemen.
Each year, the Stedsmen sculpt their hair into mullet haircuts for their Mullets Against Malaria fundraiser.
They also host a special Founder's Day, part of Founder's Week, which includes a 3-on-3 basketball tournament, historical lectures, a talent show, and a special Mass. In the spring, the Stedsmen take a trip to Chicago, where they host the Yacht Dance aboard a chartered yacht.
WELSH FAMILY HALL WHIRLWINDS
The Whirlwinds live in Welsh Family Hall, also referred to as "Welsh Fam," which is situated in West Quad, near the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore.
Welsh Fam women have a strong commitment to service and spiritual development in addition to interhall athletics, which include flag football, lacrosse, water polo, and ping-pong.
ZAHM HALL ZAHMBIES
Home of the Zahmbies, Zahm Hall is called Zahm House by its residents. Built in 1937, Zahm Hall is named in honor of Rev. John Augustine Zahm, C.S.C., a 1871 Notre Dame graduate who, as a scientist, Dante scholar, and international explorer, was the renaissance man of his day.
The annual Zahm Carnival is a collaboration with the Robinson Community Learning Center to benefit the children of South Bend.
Zahm is also home to Za Pizza, a pizza parlor that donates all profits to charity.