Battleship Portfolio SARA FORSEY

The goal of this project was to build a cannon that shoots tennis balls at various angles and pressures to test the consistency of the cannon. We also learned how to use an Arduino to control the firing of the cannon.
Before we began the project we worked on Arduino for a few weeks. We all had to build 10 circuts to teach us how to code and where to put the wires in the Arduino. We learned this because we used were supposed to use it to fire the Arduino.
We started putting our cannon together on November 15th 2016. I cut and glued some of the parts, we didn't finish on this day and continued doing this the next class.
In the next class we continued gluing parts together, we glued the tubes to the valve. I also wrapped teflon tape around the piece that attached the elbows together.
We finished putting the cannon together on November 21st and we began revising the design for barrel support and completing it. We finished the barrel support not long after.
On November 28th and November 30th our group thought that we had finalized the design, so we split things up and I helped in trying to find how to make a gear that would be acceptable for our “final” design. In the end the gears didn't work and they were useless.
Between December 2nd and December 12th I helped make the “finalized” design more clear and I began designing one of the bases and a hook for the pulley on onshape.
Some of the designs and plans we came up with while being in the process of designing. Some of them are pictures of the base and legs and the dimensions to be used to make them. The other drawings were alternative ideas the were not used, for example in one of the drawings we tried to have something come out of the base to change the angle of the cannon but it wasn't plausible because it couldn't be designed with the material we had.
Between December 2nd and December 12th we made the “finalized” design more clear with the help of Mr. Twilley. We agreed on certain things and made the deign more clean cut than it was. and I began designing one of the bases and a hook for the pulley on onshape.
On December 16th we redesigned the parts and we began working on them, I helped redesign and make sure that the parts fit together. On December 20th we "finalized" our design.
This is our "finalized" design that we made on December 20th 2016. After this we went back and made revisions because the design wasn't efficient enough and didn't make much sense, we used this design to base our other ideas off of.
On December 22nd we began building and gathering parts for our final design, like this part that keeps the strings in place for the system. We also got the PVC pipes that we would use to hold the strings of the pulley.
On January 7th I helped modify and revise our design even more to make it more effective. We all had different ideas that closed and it showed in our final design but we figured out a way to efficiently rotate and change the cannons angle. We tried to use a pulley system with two bases. A gear on the first base was supposed to rotate the second base.
This is one of the gears that we designed to go under base two and above base one. They weren't very useful when we printed because they didn't work they way they were supposed to.
Later that day we printed out the parts of our design using the Shopbot.
On January 10th I sanded the parts down that we chipped out from the Shopbot so they were smooth and fit into our design nicely. We began putting the deign together by gluing and put parts together.
It took us 2 class periods to put the design together, and we had many setbacks. Many of the parts of the design prevented other parts of it from working, and the gears didn't work like we had anticipated. In the end we were able to piece something together that worked.
This was the finished product, we began testing and the cannon was relatively accurate with some outliers in the data we collected.
This is when we were testing, I changed jobs each time we tested. At different points I loaded the cannon, collected data, got distances, and stood on the mat. The cannon was fairly consistent with distances, but we did have a few outliers in our data showing that it was not always shooting consistently.
This is a graph of the averaged data from all three of the tests.
These are the averaged data values used to create the graph. There were many outliers in the data various angles and pressures, which shows our cannon wasn't firing consistently. A possibility for this could be that we misfired or the pressure or angle wasn't completely accurate.
In Conclusion our bases and barrel supports could've been lot more carefully designed, but we didn't have much time to put it together and we disagreed on a lot. Some of the parts of our designs didn't work like the gear, and the legs of our design which broke off. If I could do it again I would make the design more sturdy by putting more supports within the pulley system and making sure the bases actually turned by gluing the top of the large gear to base two.

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.