The assessment tool was designed to assist hospitals to self-measure levels of pediatric equipment availability, coordination of pediatric emergency care issues, as well as the availability of essential policies for children in emergency departments.
Hospitals were scored, on a 100 point scale, in 6 Main Areas related to the Care of Children in their Emergency Department:
- Administration and Coordination
- Physicians, Nurses, and Other Health Providers Staffing the ED
- Quality Improvement and/or Process Improvement for the ED
- Pediatric Patient Safety in the ED
- Policies, Procedures, and Protocols for the ED
- Equipment, Supplies, and Medications for the Care of Children