- Hemessen was born in 1528 in Antwerp Belgium
- Spent most of her life in Antwerp Belgium
- master in the Guild of St. Luke and she taught three students
- she spent most of her days painting
- she was a painter
- Portrait of a Lady, 1551, National Gallery, London
- Portrait of a Lady in 16th Century Dress, Bowes Museum
- Young Woman Playing the Virginals, 1548, Cologne, Wallraf-Richartz Museum
- Her father was her patron
Caterina Van Hemesson's self portrait was created in 1548.
- You can find this painting in Öffentliche Kunstsammlung, Basel Switzerland.
- This self portrait was the first self portrait that people know of.
- I found this piece interesting because their was not a lot of famous women painters back then and she was one of them.
- This painting is secularism because nothing in this picture relates to religion it is just a painting of her
"Caterina Van Hemessen (1527/8 to 1581 or after 1587): Early Modern Woman Artist." Reveries Under the Sign of Austen, Two. N.p., 27 Jan. 2016. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.
"Artstor Library Catherina Van Hemmeson." Artstor Library. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2016.