Basic elements of an argument
- Arguable topic
- Claim or thesis statement
- Valid reasons
- Credible evidence
- Opposing arguments
Three Content Areas
Type of Review
- Journalistic Review - the goal is to provide a critical overview to future players of a game.
- Historical - the goal is to understand the game as a historical artifact.
- Community - the goal is to use a game to understand the people who play it.
- Illustration of a Theory - the goal is to provide evidence and support a theory through analyzing a game.
- Interpretative - the goal is to communicate how the game may stand or mean something beyond the game itself.
- Personal Account - the goal is to provide a subjective understanding of a game.
(from Fernandez-Vara Chapter 6)
- Writing separately; no revising
- Really long paragraphs
- Proper noun consistency
- Not planning out images/video
- Being too negative/too much personal account
- Generalizations | "All college students..." or "All users..."